Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Coleman Xtreme Mash Tun

After 4 extract batches, i’m starting to gather and assemble my mash tun for the first all-grain batch. Right now i’m set up for 5 gallon batches and don’t plan on going any bigger.

The question is what is the optimal size for a Coleman Xtreme Cooler mash tun, batch sparging 5 gallon batches? i’m debating between the 36qt and the 52qt…

My worries is the 36qt could be too small or the 52qt could be too big. I’m looking for people options that have one of these coolers and makes 5 gallon batches!

Thanks!!!

You will be able to partigyle a big beer with the 52, which you can’t with the 36. There’s no downside to going bigger as long as you wrap the cooler with some insulation when you’re doing smaller grain bills, so I would go with the 52.

Also, i’m just looking on Coleman’s website on the spec’s on the 52qt cooler. Interior Dimensions are 20.5" x 8.75" x 12.25", i come up with 9.5 gals or 38qt of capacity, how do they rate coolers?

I’ve got the 52 qt one and have no problem holding temp with 5 gallon batches, even when winter brewing in the garage. My process is to put in my strike water, put the lid on for ~5 minutes and then add my grain. I lose ~1 degree in an hour mash. The outside of the cooler is barely warm after an hour mash so I don’t think I’m losing much heat.

I never checked how much it actually holds but I’ve never had a problem fitting10 gallon batch mashes when I do a double batch.

I found this on sale at walmart, for 29.99

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Xtrem ... r/14574676

is there any difference in this one on amazon for 46.99

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-52-Quart- ... eme+cooler

thanks for your help so far!!

The Amazon cooler appears to have better lid insulation, which is a plus, but after building a couple of cooler MTs recently, what really matters is the drain – I like to keep them simple, with no bulkhead, so a ½” diameter, straight hole with no spigot is ideal. You might want to decide how you’re going to get the wort out of the cooler before making a purchase.

was planning on using this:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/bron ... -barb.html

Will that work?

Just for reference, I have the 40qt Coleman extreme and I can mash about 20lbs of grist without any issues so you can still make pretty big 5G batches with it. I used a ball valve on the outlet side and brass nipple (1/2’’ i think?) attached to a hose braid on the inside. It was really easy to do, other than the fact it was near impossible to find ss washers that were big enough to fit over the ball valve on the inside of the kettle. This cooler is great, you lose almost nothing in dead loss.

[quote=“hyperlight66”]was planning on using this:[/quote]It’ll work, but you may have to modify the bulkhead pieces and/or the cooler. Pull the cooler’s valve/spigot out and check the hole - if it’s too small to insert the bulkhead’s threaded piece, you can widen with a hole saw, and if too big, you can get larger o-rings/washers and use some silicon caulk to get a seal. Then with the threaded pipe in the hole, see if there’s enough thread on each side to attach the bulkhead pieces - if not, you’ll need a longer pipe.

When you install the bulkhead, be sure to just tighten the fittings until they’re snug, don’t crank down on them or you’ll flatten and twist the o-rings and it will leak (or you may crush the cooler wall a little and it won’t be flat enough to get a good seal). It’s worth the couple of bucks to have a tube of aquarium-grade silicon caulk on hand before you start just in case (and a thin bead around the outside washer as insurance won’t hurt).

[quote=“hyperlight66”]was planning on using this:

Will that work?[/quote]
It will. I use it on the Coleman in addition to this http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/mash … creen.html and I have been quite happy with the setup.

[quote=“Flip”][quote=“hyperlight66”]was planning on using this:

Will that work?[/quote]
It will. I use it on the Coleman in addition to this http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/mash … creen.html and I have been quite happy with the setup.[/quote]

Flip, that is what i’m planning on doing. I’m going to order the same parts today :slight_smile:

Seems like alot of people have the 52qt coleman, but they also wanted it for doing 10 gal batches. Even thou the 36qt and 52qt are the same price, the smaller one will take up less room on the self. Right now i’m leaning towards the 36qt.

Thanks!

I’ve got the 32qt one and in retrospect I probably should have gone larger. I can get a little over 17 pounds of grain in there at about 1.2-1.3 qt/lb. However, despite conventional wisdom I move the mash to a lauter-tun and fly sparge so I’m not sure how well batch sparging would work with a grain bill that pushes the limits of capacity.

You can always mash with a higher mash ratio to keep the tun more or less full. I havne’t noticed a lot of difference in efficiency from doing no-sparge and mashing with as much as 3.5qt/lb. I know the conventional wisdom is to get equal runnings but I don’t think the difference in efficiency is very great.

I totally agree. I have a standard (blue :stuck_out_tongue: ) Coleman 48 quart with the simple 1/2" drain. I stuck a length of 1/2" tubing through, clamped hose braid on the inside and a nylon valve on the outside.

Done in 5 minutes, with no mods, bungs, drilling, or caulk, no plugging the bored-out hole with a drilled stopper, no relatively expansive valve or trips to the hardware store.

To each his own, but I like to keep it as simple as possible, and while I would certainly spend more money and effort if there were a reason to, I can’t think of any improvement needed to what I have…

:cheers:

I totally agree. I have a standard (blue :stuck_out_tongue: ) Coleman 48 quart with the simple 1/2" drain. I stuck a length of 1/2" tubing through, clamped hose braid on the inside and a nylon valve on the outside.

Done in 5 minutes, with no mods, bungs, drilling, or caulk, no plugging the bored-out hole with a drilled stopper, no relatively expansive valve or trips to the hardware store.

To each his own, but I like to keep it as simple as possible, and while I would certainly spend more money and effort if there were a reason to, I can’t think of any improvement needed to what I have…

:cheers: [/quote]

+1 I did the same thing on a 72 Qt cooler for my 15 gal batches. This method works great and its cheap plus if I want to use it as a plain old cooler I just slide the tubing out.

Yeah, that’s a nice side-benefit. Can be reverted to a standard cooler for picnics or camping in 5 minutes.

[quote=“Shadetree”] I have a standard (blue :stuck_out_tongue: ) Coleman 48 quart with the simple 1/2" drain. I stuck a length of 1/2" tubing through, clamped hose braid on the inside and a nylon valve on the outside.

Done in 5 minutes, with no mods, bungs, drilling, or caulk, no plugging the bored-out hole with a drilled stopper, no relatively expansive valve or trips to the hardware store.[/quote]

^^^^ This +1 but I’ve also got a 52 quart blue Coleman, they’re better than red!!

For what it’s worth they do live up to the hype for their intended purpose!

Friday afternoon I bought 20 pounds of ribs to cook for the 4th of July. Friday evening crazy storms rolled over the DC area and knocked out power everywhere. I threw the ribs in my Coleman Xtreme and covered them in ice. Our power came back on last night and my fridge was back to proper temperature this morning. I opened the cooler this morning to find most of the ice hadn’t melted and the ribs had been saved.

Two days in a hot DC summer with no power aint much fun… eeesh.

At least my beer fridges are cold again!! :cheers:

capn, ribs and ice in the kegerator save the beer save the beer :lol: . Got to get the priorities straight.

Heh… the only thing in my kegerator was a kolsch I just moved to secondary and was going to cold condition for a bit. It’s back to 32 degrees and looking good. :slight_smile:

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com