Cold Crashing

I have never cold crashed before, but I think I understand the concept. Cold crash will cause yeast to go inactive, flocculate and sink to get a more clear beer. I put some American Wheat over cherry puree last weekend, and I want to bottle it in the next couple of days. If I put the fermenter in my fridge at 37, how long should I let it sit and do I need to warm it back up to room temp before bottling? Thanks for any direction on this?

It should clear up within 3 or 4 days. You can bottle without warming. Not sure you need to since its a wheat beer.

I brew a cherry wheat once a year. I generally rack onto cherries 1 week in, leave the beer on the cherries for 12 to 14 days, and then rack to another fermenter to get it away from the cherries. There, I condition it for 3 to 4 weeks, and I get a pretty clear wheat beer by then. Then I bottle it. So I’m not sure you need to cold crash it, especially being a wheat beer. I guess if you’re in a hurry, cold crashing would speed up the process.

Thanks for the feedback. It was in primary for two weeks, and now over Cherry for 1 week. This is a 1/2 batch (2.5 gallons) over 3lbs of puree. I guess I was concerned a little bit with getting too much cherry flavor if I let it sit too long and the additional sugar from the cherries with priming and over carbonating the bottles. I guess I don’t want to speed up the process as much as I want to stop the process. Maybe I’ll rack off the cherries into a third fermenter and let sit for a week or two, then bottle.

The sugars in the Cherries will kick in fermentation, but it’ll only last a couple days at the most. You do want to be careful with multiple rackings (oxygenation). So, if it were mine and it’s been on the cherries for a week, I’d take a SG and if it’s where I want it to be, I’d cold crash it, leave it there for a week and package. Loopie is correct that the benefits of cold crashing will happen within 3-4 days, but I sometimes get another point or 2 of attenuation with a week of cold. :cheers: