Cold crashing in primary and bottling?

I recently brewed my first small batch biab recipe. It was 2.5 gallon so I decided to use my old Mr. beer keg to ferment in. My original plan was to then use a second Mr. Beer as a secondary, but then I read that I should use a smaller container for a secondary to prevent oxidation. Anways I don’t have a smaller container. So then I thought I could just ferment it for 3 weeks and cold crash it to help clarify it instead of using a secondary. I’m also going to dry hop it after 2 weeks and I think cold crashing should drop the hop matter out of suspension. I mean if you use worlfloc and cold crash is there any need to ever use a secondary?

Metalhophead

steps on to soapbox, grabs megaphone, all other NB Forum profiles cringe at diatribe on lack of need for secondary vessels that is about to be proclaimed

You are absolutely on the right track. In my experience, transferring beer from primary to a secondary vessel bears more risks that potential benefits. Aslo, the only time there is a true secondary fermenter is when you transfer to a new vessel and add new fermentables (such as fruit) or new yeast/organisms (such as brett, pedio or lacto) that you want to keep separate from the main fermentation.

Definitely just do your cold crash in your Mr. Beer after you reach your final gravity. No need to move the beer around from vessel to vessel.

As far as dry-hopping goes, there are a million opinions out there. However, there is a guy in our club who is a professional distiller and very good homebrewer that in my mind confirmed my method: add the dry hops to the primary fermenter at the tail end of fermentation. The objection you will get to this is that “the fermentation’s expelling of CO2 will drive off aromatics that you want”. This is true partially, but it can be remedied by just using more dry hops. What it will also drive off is the oxygen that is trapped between leafs or even within the pellets (this, you DON’T want), and you will have plenty of hop aroma goodness. Also, just add them ‘commando’. When the hop matter settles (and my distiller friend confirmed this with some professional brewers he occasionally brews for) you can bottle, as you will not get any additional aroma from them. For a 2.5g batch, I would go with at least 2oz of dry hops with this method.

steps off soapbox, puts down megaphone, cracks a Schlitz

Déjà vu

It’s almost like I’ve read those exact words before. :cheers:

[quote=“Nighthawk”]Déjà vu

It’s almost like I’ve read those exact words before. :cheers: [/quote]

I’m just going to put my canned 'no “secondary” ’ rant in my autosignature. I don’t think they allow enough characters though.

[quote=“Pietro”][quote=“Nighthawk”]Déjà vu

It’s almost like I’ve read those exact words before. :cheers: [/quote]

I’m just going to put my canned 'no “secondary” ’ rant in my autosignature. I don’t think they allow enough characters though.[/quote]

Change your user name to NoPrimaryPietro.

Excellent response. +1.