Cold crashing in a swamp cooler?

So I’ve done some searching around in these threads, and it seems like a swamp cooler can be pretty effective at controlling fermentation temps. Is it useful for cold crashing? I would assume so, as long as I could get/keep it cold enough and fast enough right?

Also, i use the plastic ale pails for my primary, any issues one could expect from using that in a swamp cooler??

Thanks. And cheers!

I see no issue with either. Might take a lot of ice bottles but I’m sure you could do it.

Use a cooler if you can, it’ll hold in the cold better than just a tub. Ale pails will fit in most decent-sized coolers. Fill it as high as practical, and have plenty of ice bottles going since they’ll melt fairly quickly at first.

Probably only get into the low 50s without an ice water bath. I say go for it. If nothing else, your attempt will increase the knowledge base.

:cheers:

[quote=“StormyBrew”]Probably only get into the low 50s without an ice water bath. I say go for it. If nothing else, your attempt will increase the knowledge base.

:cheers: [/quote]

If that’s not a good reason, I don’t know what is!

Cheers.

make sure to put a fan on it!

Something I just started the last few batches is to wrap an old sleeping blanket around the swamp cooler and the top of my carboy (wrapped with a towel). When I remove a portion of the sleeping blanket to check temp and change out the ice bottles I can feel the cooler air in the swamp cooler. A couple months ago I was able to maintain 48-50 degrees for my Vienna Lager and 2 weeks ago I maintained 63 for my Blonde Ale. I leave a floating thermometer in there and it seems to hold temp really well.

It might take a few frozen gallon jugs at one time but I bet you could cold crash this away. You may have a better freezer then me but i would suggest you have plenty of jugs to rotate with. My freezer won’t completely freeze a few gallon jugs in 12 hours.