Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Cold Crashing and what affect it has on my brew

I brewed the speckled heifer and after one week the gravity dropped from 1.042 to 1.010 and stayed there for three days. I then racked it into a keg at 15psi and put into my fridge at 40*F. I intended to have it age a bit in the keg before drinking, but realized after 2 days that it would not probably age too well at 40F…so I took it out of the fridge this morning, released the co2 and put it in 68F room on my main level.

My question to all of you is, how, it at all, will this effect my brew? Will it only increase the aging time? Will it prevent the yeast from cleaning up and mellowing out my brew? etc.

As always, all thoughts are very much appreciated!
:cheers:

Cold crashing helps the yeast and by products fall out of suspension so in your case its not a big deal. The SH is a young beer so your beer will taste just fine. Also by giving it a cold aging you are ready to hit it with CO2.

Cold aging does add time to the aging process, however, as I mentioned before isn’t needed for the SH.

Thanks Loopie,
Should I keep it out of the fridge and off the co2 while aging?

[quote=“jtgreanya”]Thanks Loopie,
Should I keep it out of the fridge and off the co2 while aging?[/quote]
Last time I did a form of SH I fermented 2 weeks, kegged, cold aged 2 weeks while carbing, and drank the sh*t outta it. SH is a young beer so it needs no real extended aging.

Well I hope mine turns out as good as yours! I tasted some the other night and although it wasn’t as carbonated as I plan to have it, it did still taste a bit young (I guess it had only been 10 days…), So i’m hoping that having it set at room temp for a week and then carbing in the fridge for a week will help that out.

Thanks again for your thoughts!

[quote=“Loopie Beer”]Cold crashing helps the yeast and by products fall out of suspension so in your case its not a big deal. The SH is a young beer so your beer will taste just fine. Also by giving it a cold aging you are ready to hit it with CO2.

Cold aging does add time to the aging process, however, as I mentioned before isn’t needed for the SH.[/quote]

Aging isn’t needed for SH, but I’ve found that some cold aging benefits most beers.
And if starbright beer clarity is important to your beer serving aesthetic, crash cooling it for a few days (to near freezing) and then fining with gelatin is the best way to achieve that. Much better than any filtration, IMNSHO
And, as pointed out, it makes force carbing the beer pretty much a breeze.

Perhaps you are confusing the terms aging and conditioning.

Like stated above, a cream ale does not really need any aging, but you did keg this really young. I would have waited at least two weeks and then cold crashed for 24-36 hours before kegging to keep the sediment out of the keg. And because even that may be rushing it a bit, I would “set it and forget it” on C02 for a week to 10 days. At that point you are about 3.5 weeks from brew day and there would be no need for aging at all.

Absolutely 560sdl, I don’t want to get those terms confused. I did keg it a lot younger than I planned, but I decided instead of taking up the secondary for conditioning, I would rack it into the keg (it was also the first time using the new keg, so I probably jumped the gun on that). Normally it would have conditioned at room temp for a couple weeks before bottling and it was a brain fart to put it in the fridge.

My biggest concern was whether the inadvertant “cold crashing” was going to effect the conditioning from this point forward as I’ve tasted the brew and it’s drinkable, but not the amazing homebrew I’m used to!

Thanks again!

If it were me, I would take it out of the cold and let it sit at warm temps for a week or so and then go through your kegging procedure. If it is already partially carbonated, that is fine, I think. I think it will improve.

BTW, I brewed the Spec Hef kit and thought it was good, not great. I actually brewed it as a football tailgating beer because the friend I go to games with is a Coors Light drinker and this was my attempt at being allowed to bring and drink homebrew instead of the swill.

It worked, he loved it and it was good enough for me.

It has been sitting at room temp for 2 days now and I plan on letting it sit for at least a week before throwing it back in the fridge and carbing it. I don’t expect it to be amazing (like I expect of my belgian dark strong ale that I’m aging…) but I hope it tastes better in a couple weeks and with full carbonation!

Thanks again for you thoughts! :cheers:

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com