Cold Crashing/Air Lock

Is it OK to move my secondary into the refrigerator with the air lock in place?

is it the ‘S’ style airlock?

sometimes dropping the temperature will suck the sanitizer/alcohol through the airlock into the fermenter. if you have a ‘S’ style airlock it should be fine. if not, a sanitized piece of foil over the top of the fermenter should be enough

What about a foam air stopper (like in the link) until the volume of beer has reached temp then re-place back to your normal airlock. It may be overkill but I think about the mold I know about in MY fridge.
Maybe just don’t use my fridge… but on the other hand… go ahead and put that beer in there, I’ll keep a close eye on it.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/revi ... t/id/4432/

VK

You’re cold crashing the beer…fermentation is done…why even bother with an airlock? Use foil.

Good point. :slight_smile:

:cheers:
VK

[quote=“Brew On”] Good point. :slight_smile:

:cheers:
VK[/quote]

Don’t worry…I say enough stupid stuff that could never happen! :slight_smile:

Yeah, I replace my airlock with a sanitizer dampened paper towel covered in plastic wrap and held in place with an elastic. Your vessel will suck in whatever is in the airlock. First time I cold crashed, I went thru about 5 shots of vodka before I figured that one out.

Use the foil as mentioned above or plastic snack bag. Use a rubberband to hold the snack bag against the neck of the carboy.

LOL, Barney, was that 5 shots of vodka in the airlock, or down the hatch?

LOL, Barney, was that 5 shots of vodka in the airlock, or down the hatch?[/quote]

Not down the hatch. The vodka was the cheap stuff. Meh, I upped the abv of the beer a bit. But not my bloodstream. :roll: (I usually send scotch down my airlock straight up. 18 yr old glenfiddich)

I forgot to mention that I leave the stopper in the carboy. Just pull the airlock and proceed as I said before.

What about introducing oxygen into the beer? Is this a worry without an airlock?

I’ve been cold-crashing in the fridge for the last 10 batches or so. I use a bucket. I keep my 3-piece airlock in place and haven’t really noticed anything getting sucked into the fermenter. There could be some, but there’s always sanitizer left in the airlock.

I listened to a Jamil podcast recently that recommended cold-crashing in the keg, but the whole reason I keep mine in the fermenter is to drop everything out of suspension before kegging.

What about introducing oxygen into the beer? Is this a worry without an airlock?

[/quote]

it happens with an airlock too. but i have never had an issue with oxidation. unless you were splashing the beer it shouldn’t be an issue

[/quote]

it happens with an airlock too. but i have never had an issue with oxidation. unless you were splashing the beer it shouldn’t be an issue[/quote]

Good to know. Thanks.

I was thinking that this is one of those things that is probably not as big an issue as some make it.

+1 on the " s " stopper, I have gone almost full time to these . I also use foil as my cold crashes are usually five or so days at33* and the o2 is not a concern at that point