Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Cold crash question

Hello all. I have a Smashing Pumpkin AG ale that was in the primary for 14 days and now in the secondary for 11 days. I just checked the gravity and it shows 1.010. Should I cold crash? If so this will be my first attempt. I have a chest freezer and can control the temperature. If I choose to cold crash I understand I should get it as close to 32F as possible for about 3 days then let it warm up to 65-70 and then bottle. Am I correct in all this?

Cold-crashing is not something you attempt, like doing a donut on your girlfriend’s lawn at midnight after drinking a fifth of Jager, you just put the fermenter in a fridge for a couple of days. And there’s no reason to warm it up before bottling; in fact, warming it will encourage the yeast to start popping up again and you don’t want that. The colder beer will make it a little harder to keep the sugar in suspension, so be sure to give the bottling bucket a gentle stir every six-pack or so.

When you cold crash you need to tale precautions that any sanitizer in your airlock or blowoff bucket don’t get sucked in when the liquid and air space condense as it cools down.

That is why I use Vodka

Is my gravity reading low enough to cold crash/bottle?

Doubtful that you will get lower than 1.010 but if you want to be sure, just take another reading in a day or two and see if it’s stable. Use

new signature?

I don’t have any problem with sanitizer getting sucked in, but the fact that it’s sucking means it’s also sucking air (with oxygen), which does concern me. Any thoughts on this?

The only way it will suck oxygen in is after it sucks all the liquid out of the air lock and then I wouldn’t worry about it because the beer is still off gassing CO2.

Unless you have CO2 on hand and can keep the headspace pressurized while the temp drops, you’re going to get a little air inside at some point, either through the airlock or when you pop the lid. The headspace in the fermenter is filled with CO2 and will help keep the beer protected and if you don’t slosh the beer there won’t be any appreciable oxidation.

I don’t bottle anymore, but does cold crashing leave enough yeast to naturally carb up in bottles? I got asked that ? the other day and could not really answer it.

In my experience (which admittedly isn’t a whole lot), there’s still plenty of yeast. The number of cells needed to carbonate is so small that you really have to go to extremes to have a problem.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com