Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Cold crash poll for bottlers

Created to see use of this technique among bottlers.

Except it assumes that there will be enough yeast in suspension to bottle prime after a month or more lagering a lager! And that the lager brewers are wilIing to warm up their beers to carbonate them.

I don’t see the need, as long as I leave it on the yeast cake sufficiently long to finish and clear, but not so long so as to drop all suspended yeast out, but YMMV, of course.

I always felt that since I was going to growing some more yeast during conditioning, that it served no purpose to clear a beer prior to conditioning. it really doesn’t matter if a bottle-conditioned beer has 1/16" or 1/8" of dregs, either way you have to make a proper pour. Cold crashing after conditioning is as simple as chilling the beer for a few days before drinking.

I do C.C. many of my beers. And now you will think I am crazy. Many years ago there would be times when my carbonation wasn’t consistant. For years now I rehydrate some Nottingham, just a sprinkle across the surface of a 1/4 cup of water and add it to the bottling bucket with my sugar prime, and now I always have the correct carbonation. To me it’s insurance, for every batch I bottle, and It always works for me. Just a crazy idea, but it works for me. I don’t belong to a club, or around any other brewers except you guys, so my brewing education comes from books, trial and error, and this forum.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com