Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Cold Brewed Coffee

I have been making a Coffee Sweet Stout for a while using 1 qt of strong brewed coffee. I want to try a batch with cold brewed coffee, but do not want to introduce any wild yeast to my secondary. I am planning of making the cold brewed coffee then canning it using my pressure cooker. Does anyone see any negatives to this process or is this not necessary at all

I’ve never used brewed coffee in mine, so I can’t really speak to that. I usually dry hop coarsely ground esspresso beans in a muslin bag during secondary. Maybe I’ll start considering using brewed coffee.

When I brew a coffee beer I cold brew the coffee and add straight to the secondary; I’ve never had a problem.

Or you can cold brew it and then add it to the wort at flame out to pasteurize it. I wouldn’t sweat it. I have run stout off a keg into a bottle with a couple tablespoons of cold coffee from a press and it tastes great weeks later. Try to use as sanitary of methods as possible when working on the cold side (sanitize vessels and measuring spoons and bottles).

If you want you could get really anal about sanitation on this but I don’t think you need to. My brewing buddies and I have made a couple of coffee stouts and just dumped cold press into the secondary and they’ve turned out great

I would say that you probably don’t need to worry about this.

You say ‘secondary’ so at that point most if not all of your fermentables have been fermented. Any wild yeast would be outta luck, because there is no sugar here left to eat.

The concern would be introducing some sort of bacteria or infection, but again, at that point the ph of the beer is in the 4.0 range, much lower than the 4.6-5 Ph needed to pickle things (thus preventing bacterial growth).

I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure most things added to a secondary are ‘safe’ that aren’t prone to acid-resistant bacteria. Primary is a whole 'nother story.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com