Coffee Stout

Thanks Greg,

I wouldn’t think it would make that much difference either but then I wonder why someone would use a $33/lb. coffee selection in recipe.
But I suppose it could be worse. :shock:

[quote=“dsiets”]Thanks Greg,

I wouldn’t think it would make that much difference either but then I wonder why someone would use a $33/lb. coffee selection in recipe.
But I suppose it could be worse. :shock: [/quote]I got my Kona at Meijers for $7 for 12 oz.

[quote=“MullerBrau”][quote=“dsiets”]Thanks Greg,

But I suppose it could be worse. :shock: [/quote]I got my Kona at Meijers for $7 for 12 oz.[/quote]

Well hell! I’m in Grand Rapids. I think I can manage to find a Meijers. :mrgreen:
Here I was thinking I would have to get dressed up to buy me some coffee beans.

I can’t imagine 20ppm calcium would make that much of a difference as opposed to 30ppm calcium in a bo pils. :mrgreen:

Also, @dsiets, I would recommend the Guatemalan over the Sumatran. I love Sumatra coffees, but they are EXTREMELY variable from producer to producer (the actual farms, not the roasters), primarily because of the processing method.

Guatelmala, along with Ethiopia are the gold standard of producers of coffee IMO. And both are far more consistent than Sumatran, which can have wet-hulled, dry-hulled, wet-processed, and dry processed, all of which greatly affect the flavor of the cup. A lot of Sumatran coffees are described as ‘muddy’…now, like a beer from Flanders however, they can also be transcendent.

A lot of local coffee roasteries (and internet retailers) are indeed extreme rip-off artists. But, as with beer, guns, and women, you usually get what you pay for. If this is to be the featured ingredient in your beer, I would get something good (and if you have to buy more, make some $#@!#ing coffee to drink for Pete’s sake!) I personally would go with the guys that were steering you toward the Guatemalan. Sounds like a alright fellow you talked to over there. :cheers:

[quote=“Pietro”]
I would get something good (and if you have to buy more, make some $#@!#ing coffee to drink for Pete’s sake!) I personally would go with the guys that were steering you toward the Guatemalan. Sounds like a alright fellow you talked to over there. :cheers: [/quote]

Thanks for the input Pietro. I saw you mention you were a coffee snob so I was wondering what you might have to say. :lol:
As I gave up coffee due to GERDs and developed sensitivity(?) after years of drinking it, I would have to give any leftover beans to family or friends.

This place is 30 min. to the north of me and has plenty other stuff I enjoy checking out each time I’m in the neighborhood. They have reputation among some of the higher end restaurants for the coffee they provide to them. http://hermansboy.com/4011/With_FL/Html … ranch.html

On the other hand, Miejers is only 5 min. from me. Decisions decisions.

Anyway, thanks again all.

[quote=“dsiets”][quote=“Pietro”]
I would get something good (and if you have to buy more, make some $#@!#ing coffee to drink for Pete’s sake!) I personally would go with the guys that were steering you toward the Guatemalan. Sounds like a alright fellow you talked to over there. :cheers: [/quote]

Thanks for the input Pietro. I saw you mention you were a coffee snob so I was wondering what you might have to say. :lol:
As I gave up coffee due to GERDs and developed sensitivity(?) after years of drinking it, I would have to give any leftover beans to family or friends.

This place is 30 min. to the north of me and has plenty other stuff I enjoy checking out each time I’m in the neighborhood. They have reputation among some of the higher end restaurants for the coffee they provide to them. http://hermansboy.com/4011/With_FL/Html … ranch.html

On the other hand, Miejers is only 5 min. from me. Decisions decisions.

Anyway, thanks again all.[/quote]
If you can’t drink coffee on it’s own, how can you drink it in a beer? Wouldn’t you suffer the same ill effects?

[quote=“deliusism1”]
If you can’t drink coffee on it’s own, how can you drink it in a beer? Wouldn’t you suffer the same ill effects?[/quote]

When I was having my initial problems w/ reflux I was drinking a full thermos + a large travel mug of strong brewed coffee everyday for years. Then I started having chest pains and what felt like rapid heart beat which triggered anxiety. I tried cutting back on the coffee intake and diluting it w/ cream to reduce the acidity but it didn’t seem to work.

I avoid caffeine but cheat a little now and then w/ chocolate or mild tea.
I’m mostly over it (off the meds) and very occasionally get the symptoms of reflux back, probably because I still eat many of the things I’m supposed to avoid and eat late at night before bed. When I do I just take in a lot less, or try to anyway. I don’t think 4 oz. of beans in a 5 gal. batch will be a problem.

[quote=“dsiets”][quote=“deliusism1”]
If you can’t drink coffee on it’s own, how can you drink it in a beer? Wouldn’t you suffer the same ill effects?[/quote]

When I was having my initial problems w/ reflux I was drinking a full thermos + a large travel mug of strong brewed coffee everyday for years. Then I started having chest pains and what felt like rapid heart beat which triggered anxiety. I tried cutting back on the coffee intake and diluting it w/ cream to reduce the acidity but it didn’t seem to work.

I’m mostly over it (off the meds) and very occasionally get the symptoms of reflux back, probably because I still eat many of the things I’m supposed to avoid and eat late at night before bed. When I do I just take in a lot less, or try to anyway. I don’t think 4 oz. of beans in a 5 gal. batch will be a problem.[/quote]I had the same symptoms and mine turned out to be MVP or Mitral Valve Prolapse. Easily treated with a Beta-Blocker.

[quote=“dsiets”][quote=“deliusism1”]

I’m mostly over it (off the meds) and very occasionally get the symptoms of reflux back, probably because I still eat many of the things I’m supposed to avoid and eat late at night before bed. When I do I just take in a lot less, or try to anyway. I don’t think 4 oz. of beans in a 5 gal. batch will be a problem.[/quote]
Good for you. I’m glad to hear you’re not totally deprived of coffee. Now if you couldn’t even drink beer…well, let’s not even go there. :wink:

Does anyone have a recipe for a 1 gallon batch? I really don’t want to have to buy a 5 gallon recipe kit and have to divide it just to find out I don’t like it.

I may, in the future, get equipment to do larger brews, but I am just a beginner for now.

[quote=“dsiets”]
I was drinking a full thermos + a large travel mug of strong brewed coffee everyday for years. [/quote]

Good God man! What did you work at NORAD?! I’m surprised your heart didn’t jump through your chest plate! How many fluid ounces is that?