co2

for a 5 gallon batch …or 3 gallon too…
how does this sound for CO2 …put 15 pounds to it for 24 hours and shake the keg at least 5 times
and then 6 pounds for 24 and shake 5 times…then it should be ok for drink,no???

I set mine at 30 - 32 psi and let it sit for a couple days. Before serving bleed that pressure off and set to around 8-10 psi for serving. Always works for me.

I just set mine to the correct pressure for the style and temp and then let it sit for 2 or 3 weeks.

It builds up anticipation and develops character!

thats WAY too long…
when you say bleed it off…how exactly do you do that without losing beer…??will the gauge drop as you
bleed???

It means to pull the pressure release valve to release the pressure. I’ve maybe had a squirt of beer come out, but nothing serious. Use a towel to cover your hand when you pull the valve. The gauge will drop down but rise back up if you still have it hooked up to the gas line. Turn the gas off, then pull the release. The gauge will drop.

There have been some notes of stability problems with head when force carbing by shaking. I’ve read someone post that it takes two weeks to “truly” carbonate even if you shake it, backed up with an article.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=124775

I should say, I’ve never tested it personally. I’m in no rush, so I just set it to serving pressure and leave it.

[quote=“38812”]thats WAY too long…
when you say bleed it off…how exactly do you do that without losing beer…??will the gauge drop as you
bleed???[/quote]

What are you saying is “Way” too long ? I’m just sharing with you what works for me. I’ve been kegging my beer for years and that’s about an average psi / time duration for me. I’ve never carbed my beer by shaking the keg because i’ve never been in that big of a hurry to have it ready. Bleed means releasing C02 pressure from the keg using the pressure relief valve. I turn my C02 off …bleed the keg using the pressure relief valve that is on top of my corny keg lid … once all the “hissing” stops … dial in your regulator to your desired psi for serving …and turn your C02 back on. Beer rarely comes through that pressure relief valve.

[quote=“38812”]for a 5 gallon batch …or 3 gallon too…
how does this sound for CO2 …put 15 pounds to it for 24 hours and shake the keg at least 5 times
and then 6 pounds for 24 and shake 5 times…then it should be ok for drink,no???[/quote]

Setting it to 6psi is pretty pointless, as a cold keg needs more pressure than that to fully carb. If you want it ready in two days, charge it to around 35psi and leave it alone for 48 hours, then bleed and reset it to your serving pressure…which hopefully is the same as your desired carb pressure (generally 8-10 psi)

There are lots of shaking, rolling, high pressure for 48 hrs ways to “quick force” carb a keg and they mostly work. Sometimes you’ll overcarb if you’re not careful.

Someone above made a very good point though. The beer does come into it’s own for at least two weeks on gas. Then the mouthfeel is good and the beer has conditioned along with absorbing the CO2.

You can get it drinkable in 48-72 hours but it will be much better in about 2 weeks. Just FYI.

Definitely the best way. The beer benefits from the extra time.
One of the reasons that the vast majority of brewpub beer is so lousy is that many of those places are in too much of a hurry to serve it (during my travels a few years ago, I once had dinner is a brewpub that actually bragged that their beers were, on average, on the taps only 6 days after brewing. For my second beverage on that visit, I quietly switched to wine).

Give it time. In addition to regulating the amount of carbonation in the beer, the beer itself will be much improved after 3 or 4 weeks (and twice that amount of time would be even better).

understood

I guess it depends if your in a hurry or not what is best.
I am in a hurry for some, until I get some batches ready to drink I am drinking over priced store bought junk. I have not been able to brew for a LONG time do to travels and work i had to do when I am home!

I hope in a couple weeks to start brewing up about 40 gals. I’d fast carb the first keg or two to have something to drink now, and let the rest sit till needed and age well.

Even a quick ferment and fast carb would be better Beer than what I been buying, and about $10 cheaper also for each 5gal when I compare the pricing.

I tend to agree that the set it and forget it method is best for flavors to meld and to prevent over-carbonation. When I need/want to a quick turn (e.g., IPAs), my SOP has become 30psi for 24 hours, then 20psi for 24 hours, then connect the beer line and test. Normally it’s ready.

I found this to be pretty helpfull for a newbee like myself http://www.morebeer.com/themes/morewinepro/kegging.pdf

If you are in a big hurry and don’t want to wait but also do not want to overcarb, do this: Get keg cold, set reg at 10-11, shake like crazy for 5 minutes, let settle for a minute and start pouring. There is no way to overcarb using this method.