CO2 volumes calculator

The numbers in the middle are volumes of CO2.

Picking how many volumes you want is really about beer style and preference. More volumes means more highly carbonated beer.

I’ve not looked at " these technical" places you guys speak of… BUT… You say volume as you are shoving 15 gallons of CO2 into an already full 5 gallon keg… Is that a close assumption? :mask:
Sneezles61

The CO2 both dissolves into the beer and compresses under pressure so it takes up less space.
Say we took a 5 gallon keg of beer and held it at the appropriate temp and pressure for 2 or 3 weeks to get the carbonation to 3.0 volumes. Then we disconnected the CO2 supply, attached an empty giant balloon to the gas post and let it sit at 32 degrees F long enough for all of the CO2 to come back out of solution, we would have 5 gallons of flat beer in the keg and the balloon would expand to a size of 15 gallons.

1 Like

You are correct. Taprites do have a check valve. Lots of older and cheaper regs do not.

I’m normally a set it and forget it kind of guy but when in a rush I’ve employed @radagast’s method as well as keg rolling. You can overcarb pretty easily by rolling if you’re overzealous and have the gas up high. I find 48 hours at 25-30psi, gas off, burp it, then 9-10 and it’s generally drinkable but will be fully carbonated at about 2 weeks regardless of the method you use.

1 Like