Co2 tank emptied!

Hi all, want to run this by you—a few weeks ago I got my co2 tank filled and used it to
successfully carb up a wheat beer. The people who filled it for me gave me a disposable washer–so I didn’t use the nylon one that came with my regulator.

The other day I noticed that the gauges on the tank showed it was empty. I brought the tank up to room temp and nothing changed, still empty. I had used a crescent wrench to attach the regulator,
so it was nice and tight.

What do you think is the cause? The washer they gave me?

CO2 leaks are the worst. Could be any number of spots - including the washer.

To figure it out you will have to have your tank filled, then test all joints for leaks (disconnects, hose connections etc.). Could even be a leak in your keg.

Most little bits you can submerge under water - with CO2 on. Other spots you can spray with foamy liquid (starsan might work). Soap and water is best for bubbles, but I don’t like anything soapy around my gear. Tend to just use sanitizer.

I would also point out that since the washer is in line before the regulator, the preasure at that joint is very high. You would probably hear a leak from that point very easily.

Hi Brew Meister Smith–thanks so much for your response! I will take your advice and try to post my findings!

—Matt

If you’re using a felt washer(which is what I use) you really need to crank down on the nut to tighten and compress that washer. Otherwise they tend to seep over time.

I’ve heard of people using windex for leak checks too. I use starsan.

Wow–Thanks DB! I bet it’s the dang felt washer.

—M

[quote=“MCalKP”]Wow–Thanks DB! I bet it’s the dang felt washer.

—M[/quote]

It could very well be the washer. I would still do a full - or at least half assed - double check of everything else as well. Don’t want to end up with a second empty tank.

Whether you use a felt washer or plastic washer, it needs to be cranked down tight. If the fitting moves at all, it can start leaking, so be aware, and make sure to check the connection with windex, star-san, or something similarly bubbly.

Agree with above, spray all connections with StarSan spray to check for leaks/bubbles.
Best way to find those pesky leaks. I’ve emptied tanks too.

I had a leak on my co2 system as well. I’ve since tracked it down and it is at the male outlet where the shutoff switch is located.

What is your thoughts about hitting it with some teflon tape?

I am for some reason thinking that I heard that wasn’t supposed to be done but I cannot fathom why.

Newer tank, 3rd fill emptied itself. The shop found a leak at the fitting at the top of the tank where the brass meets the aluminum. $10 repair.

CO2 leaks are surely a PIA. Dish soap and water solution in a spray bottle works very well. Most everything you are testing can be rinsed. This is the reason for a second tank also. The darn things either leak or run out on Sunday afternoon when the gas company is closed :shock:

I had a 25 pounder leak out due to a bad seal on a corny keg top.