co2 on or off

first off i want to say i am STOKED tonight because my Magic Hat Blind Faith clone is on tap and its been a long time coming. enjoying something on tap at home is priceless. just a question though, do you guys leave your co2 on all the time for the tap or shut it off and open it when needed. thank you and CHEERS!!!

On all the time.

same, on all the time. Once the beer is carbed at the pressure you select, the only real c02 used is to push the beer

On all the time. Just make sure you don’t have any leaks. Cheers, and Happy Brewing!!!

On all the time in both fridges.

Like others, I leave mine on all the time. However, the statement:

also points to the conclusion that once the pressure is equalized throughout the closed system, whether the gas is on or off between pours is a “don’t care”, as long as there are no leaks.

I’ve done it both ways. If you turn your gas off and see your kegs losing pressure between pours, it will indicate a leak somewhere, so it may be useful to try that out for a bit to test the system for a slow leak, which can then hopefully be found and fixed.

If you leave the gas on all the time you’ll get the same info, but most likely it will be in the form of an empty cylinder :x .

Are you suggesting that if the beer is fully carbonated and you shut the gas off, you could pour off a whole keg without turning the gas back on? Or are you saying if it is very noticeable from one pour to the next?

Basically with each pour you should lose a little pressure if the gas is off, right?

[quote=“560sdl”][quote=“rustyhoover”]
I’ve done it both ways. If you turn your gas off and see your kegs losing pressure between pours, it will indicate a leak somewhere, so it may be useful to try that out for a bit to test the system for a slow leak, which can then hopefully be found and fixed.

[/quote]

Are you suggesting that if the beer is fully carbonated and you shut the gas off, you could pour off a whole keg without turning the gas back on? Or are you saying if it is very noticeable from one pour to the next?

Basically with each pour you should lose a little pressure if the gas is off, right?[/quote]

Your system will only stay in equilibrium when it is closed. That means whenever you pour a beer, it will lose pressure even when you don’t pour, by definition. In between pours, though, turning the gas on or off should not matter if you have no leaks.

If you DO have leaks and you turn the gas off, though, it WILL depressurize over time. Does this make sense :slight_smile: ?

[quote=“560sdl”][quote=“rustyhoover”]

[/quote]

Basically with each pour you should lose a little pressure if the gas is off, right?[/quote]

I think he’s just talking about between pours, meaning if you do have a leak and you leave the gas off you will notice a drop in pressure in the keg, if you leave the gas on you will notice an empty co2 tank.

^bingo :slight_smile: . In the past, what I’ve done is close the cylinder valve between pours, then turn it on before I start pouring and turn it off shortly after.

My feeling is, if you have leaks you’re going to find them when you force carbonate, most likely by emptying a cylinder. So if you successfully force carbonate you might as well just leave the CO2 on after that since you know you don’t have leaks.

I’m not an expert by any means… But after I force carbonate whether 30psi for 2 days or 14psi for 2 weeks I always shut off the valve between sessions. If I am gonna be drinking a few in a row I sure don’t want to fiddle with the valve between every pour. I don’t see what it matters with a good sealed system but sure will be angry with myself if I come home to a wet floor and empty CO2 tank one of these days. :x

Leaks happen.
JW

edit: Oh, and to answer one of the OPs questions…I get about 7-10 pours before I notice the pressure starting to drop. Especially when the keg is less than 1/2 full and there is a lot of headspace for pressure to accumulate in gas form. When the keg is fuller, there is a smaller percentage of headspace and seems to require more frequent opening of the valve.