CO2 manifold question

Hi. I recently scored a nice double regulator, and as a bonus, it had a 4-way manifold attached. Nice, but I only have a couple kegs at the moment. I’m just starting out and as yet know very little about the kegging world, but I’m learning. In my internet searching, I couldn’t find out whether or not I need to have all 4 connections on the manifold connected. If I connect just two kegs, leaving the other two connections open, will CO2 pour out, or does it only flow if there is a connection? If it’s the former, can I get ‘caps’ for the other two connections? Thanks for any advice!

Are there valves on each of the splits? If so, you can just shut off the ones not in use. You may also be able to find plugs to insert into unused ports if you want.

As far as “plugging” these other ports. A photo would help us to get a “fix” on your operation.
Good news on the score, either a reg or manifolds are still a hefty price. Definitely not just a buck or two.

Unfortunately, no shutoffs on the splits. Probably an older model. Interesting that I can’t seem to find a picture of one without the shutoffs now, and mine is over at another location, so I won’t be able to post a picture until this weekend. Suffice to say, it’s just like this one:
http://morebeer.com/products/gas-manifold-4.html?gclid=CJPR1dKk8roCFSRk7AodSGEA_Q
but without any shutoffs. Where might I find plugs? Thanks for the response and advice.

[quote=“phrankndonna”]Unfortunately, no shutoffs on the splits. Probably an older model. Interesting that I can’t seem to find a picture of one without the shutoffs now, and mine is over at another location, so I won’t be able to post a picture until this weekend. Suffice to say, it’s just like this one:
http://morebeer.com/products/gas-manifold-4.html?gclid=CJPR1dKk8roCFSRk7AodSGEA_Q
but without any shutoffs. Where might I find plugs? Thanks for the response and advice.[/quote]

Are they barbed connections, or threaded? If they’re threaded, you could conceivably add your own shutoffs for about $3-4 per port.

If they’re barbed (or even if they’re threaded), check to see if the barbs are screwed in to the manifold, or if they’re welded in. If they’re screwed in, with (quite a bit of) muscle, you should be able to unscrew them and replace them with your own ports.

[quote=“phrankndonna”]Unfortunately, no shutoffs on the splits. Probably an older model. Interesting that I can’t seem to find a picture of one without the shutoffs now, and mine is over at another location, so I won’t be able to post a picture until this weekend. Suffice to say, it’s just like this one:
but without any shutoffs. Where might I find plugs? Thanks for the response and advice.[/quote]
if it is just like the manifold in the link, you can just remove the extra splits. If there are no valves present, it would be worth it to install valves…you’re going to do that though you might as well just buy a new manifold as you will pay the same price. Just make sure that checks are in place at each split.

Excellent advice all around. I’ll be able to get back at it this weekend and see what I can do with it. Thanks!