Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

co2 inside or out

Hi all,

I was given an old fridge that I plan to convert to a kegerator. Going to be piecing together stuff and had a question.

I have watched several videos on youtube and seen examples showing the co2 bottle both inside and outside the fridge.

Is there any disadvantage to keeping everything inside the fridge? Other than the obvious loss of some space taken up by the tank itself.

I have been told that technically you should not keep the CO2 cold (I think the temperature may effect the preasure of the liquid CO2?)

But I do keep my tank in my keezer as do many other people. Still works fine, and I have never really had any issues.

[quote=“Kgetch”]Hi all,

I was given an old fridge that I plan to convert to a kegerator. Going to be piecing together stuff and had a question.

I have watched several videos on youtube and seen examples showing the co2 bottle both inside and outside the fridge.

Is there any disadvantage to keeping everything inside the fridge? Other than the obvious loss of some space taken up by the tank itself.[/quote]

Your cylinder pressure gauge won’t read accurately inside the fridge so just be aware that you have more gas in there than you think. Having said that I keep my 5 lb cylinder inside my converted freezer. I plan on getting a 20 soon and was just looking at schematics on my freezer to determine where I can drill a hole to run the line. You’ll need to be careful doing that so as to not damage a cooling line inside the walls of your fridge.

I have an old Philco, with the tank outside, I can fit another keg. :smiley: You can get a false reading on your gauge if it’s cold.

Not a big deal though. Biggest issue would be drilling a hole. You don’t want to drill through any lines. ^^^

Same amount of gas either way. Just do what works for your setup. Inside if you have room. Outside if you don’t have room and can drill a hole without hitting lines. My last fridge I drilled the hole through the hole that holds racks. Made sure not to hit lines. Current keezer the tank is inside on the hump.

What temp can the tanks safely be stored at. I currently store mine in my converted fridge, I would like to keep it out side of the fridge but the fridge is in my garage and durning the summer my garage could probably get into the 120’s. What do you guys think?

I think you’d be fine. Suppliers store their tanks outside, exposed to ambient temps/sun which could be over 100 easy.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com