Cloudy beer (SMaSH IPA)

My first home brew. Used Maillard Malts Pilsen Malt Extract Syrup and Hoptimus Rex Centennial Hops. Brew appeared clear after secondary fermentation but I believe I carried over some sedimented yeast to bottling bucket. Conditioned in bottles for two weeks and refrigerated bottles for about 4 days. Nice carbonation. Flavor seems good. No bacteria smell as far as I can tell and no rings within the bottles. Very cloudy beer and doesn’t seem to settle. Did I mess up? Do you think it’s contaminated? Okay to drink?

Drink it! If it tastes good, drink it. Homebrew can be hazy. That looks like an average hazy home brewed beer. It’s possible to get clearer, but that wouldn’t trouble me at all.

1 Like

Thanks uberculture. Was a gift from my 25 year old son. I plan to bring some to him this weekend to share and wanted to be sure it was okay. It tastes hoppy/bitter like an IPA should (?). I think it tastes good, which is good because I have two cases :slight_smile:

Yeah man beer clarity starts with the mash tun or even the boil kettle. Sometimes some errors in these steps can go undetected. Something that occurred as far back as the mash tun can effect your beers clarity… not saying that’s the case with your beer. If it tastes good then drink it, but the haze could be chill haze…Cosmetic if anything. You’d know if it was infected.

1 Like

Thanks!

Cold haze for sure. Left some in glass overnight at room temperature. Completely clear this morning with almost no sediment.

More than likely chill haze as you said. But could also be some of the yeast sediment you were referring to. Sometimes in the bottle a small layer of yeast falls out and forms a “cake” on the bottom of the bottle and if you pour that into the glass it could cause some haziness. I always try to leave a very small amount of liquid and any yeast in the bottle just so I don’t have a potentially hazy beer. No harm in drinking it though if you do pour it in!

2 Likes

Next time you can do some extra steps to clear it up ahead of time, including adding Irish moss at the end of the boil, cold-crashing before bottling, and/or using gelatin. But if the haze doesn’t bother you, there’s no reason to go to the trouble.

2 Likes

You can also just tell people it’s a trendy northeast-style beer, and people will gush over the haziness. :laughing:

5 Likes

What @tonydisgis said.

When you bottle condition there will always be sediment in the bottom of the bottle. If there’s not you probably won’t have carbonation.

Handle the bottle gently, pour carefully and leave a 1/8-1/4 inch of beer in the bottle if you want a clear pint. With more time in the bottle some yeasts will cake more firmly on the bottom and be stirred less easily.

1 Like

And if that still bums out your peeps, get a ceramic mug! You can say, thats how the Germans drink their very delicious brews too! Sneezles61

2 Likes