Cloning hop venom

A friend and I have heeded good advice and fallen into the eternal thirst trap of Boneyards Hop Venom dbl IPA. Has anyone here tried to clone it? I’ll try it blind if I have to but I’d prefer a base of hypotheses from the gurus

Please clone and share the recipe! If it helps, I know it is based on Firestone Walker Double Jack, but know nothing else.

There is no better beer for my palate than Hop Venom.

I read about that, too. Strangely, they’re very dissimilar. I think it was a source of inspiration, and who could blame the brewer, it’s freaking delicious. One clone I found online uses nothing until the final 30 mins. of the boil. Then it’s a hop fiesta.

I’ve never heard of or tried this beer…but the name is amazingly appealing! Going to Google it now to learn more about it!

Good luck with your cloning effort!

:cheers:

It’s 10% ABV with 80 IBUs (from the brewers website). From one of the beer reviewing sites: “Cloudy blood orange. Restful off-white head. Washes the glass. N: Deliciously full. Spruce needles, pineapple, and mango. Malts add an inviting base. Some onion adds zest. T: Pure delight. Beep, lush hops lend grapefruit, pineapple, earth, and spruce. Has a pleasant balancing sweetness. Onion and marijuana.”

For a first shot at it, I would go with 10% Munich, 0-5% light crystal (15L or 20L), and 2-Row with an OG of 1.085 - 1.090 depending on the yeast and an SRM around 6. WLP007 would be my choice for yeast, shooting for an FG around 1.010. For hops, onion = Summit so bitter with that for maybe 30 IBUs, and mix equal parts Simcoe, Columbus, Amarillo, Centennial, and Citra to get the other 50 IBUs with additions at 20, 10, and FO (with a 30- to 60-minute whirlpool calculated as a 15-min addition).

[quote=“Jimmie322”]I’ve never heard of or tried this beer…but the name is amazingly appealing! Going to Google it now to learn more about it!

Good luck with your cloning effort!

:cheers: [/quote]

If you can get your hands on it, it comes out of Bend, Oregon and is not widely distributed, then do it. It’s dangerously drinkable and I’m very excited to endeavor this clone. Shade, as always, you’re the man. Thanks for the running start.

Very anxious to hear how this turns out. Please keep us posted.

[quote=“Hoppenheimer”]Thanks for the running start.[/quote]I’m not partial to Summit for bittering, but I do something similar with Columbus for the 60-min hop in an all-Vienna IIPA and the results are pretty spectacular.

I’m confused. Are you back-pedaling on the advice to use summit as a bittering hop?

[quote=“Hoppenheimer”]I’m confused. Are you back-pedaling on the advice to use summit as a bittering hop?[/quote]No - the description of the beer mentions “onion” and Summit will bring that. I just don’t use Summit myself, prefer a C hop for IPA bittering.

Cheers to that. Columbus was one of my first bulk pellet purchases. I have it on hand to bitter practically all of my pales.

Did you clone hop venom?

It’s bubbling away as we type. Odds are strong to very strong that I did not. But the first steps have been taken. We’ll see where this goes and I’ll be sure to keep you posted.

Just pulled a sample. OG was 1.100 and am now at 1.026. Tasted fantastic, but I stirred the yeast up to give it a little nudge along. If the gravity doesn’t drop anymore I might add some boiled sugar.

Just an update for all inquiring: it turned out to be a very, very nice double IPA with qualities that are close but not quite. The alcohol is a little hot particularly when the temperature starts to drop so that was disappointing (I’m always proud of my beers when they still taste great at room temp). All in all I’ll be happy to continue brewing this recipe to my own modifications and abandon cloning efforts.

Glad you took a stab at it. Thanks for the update. Sounds like an enjoyable beer.

I wonder if we’ll see a clone recipe in the future?