Cleaning tap

I’m building a bar/kegerator where tap/shank go through door of fridge. How do I clean best? Do i have to remove it or can I use one of those beer line cleaning system things. How do they work?

Yes you can just run some BLC through it. Or PBW/Oxiclean. Sometimes you may want to disassemble the tap and give it a cleaning with a brush.

The cleaning system is just a pump to push the cleaner through the lines. You can use an empty keg, or purchase a 1 gallon garden sprayer to accomplish the same thing.

Another case for using the threaded disconnects, you can put a swivel nut on the end of a garden sprayer and push liquid easily through the lines.

+1

B/W kegs I always take apart the faucet and clean it along with the shank. I usually replace the beer line every two kegs.

You replace the beer line every two kegs? I thought I was overdoing it by replacing every two YEARS. Why even clean them if you replace that often?

:shock:

+1

B/W kegs I always take apart the faucet and clean it along with the shank. I usually replace the beer line every two kegs.[/quote]
You’re kidding right? That is absolutely unnecessary.

I am more of a 12 to 18 month person myself.

If I changed the lines every two kegs I would be replacing them once a month, if not more.

Nope, I don’t brew as much as all of you. Two kegs in about 3-6 months.
It works for me…and it’s necessary.

i leave my shanks in the door and just run a pipe cleaner through them. then soak the hoses and taps in the sink with pbw for 45 minutes. been doing that for 3 years and never replaced any hoses, they’re just as clean as the day i bought them