Cleaning my gear

I’m not real good at searching for answers in previous posts, so bare with me.

I’m new to this brewing stuff.

What’s the best way to clean a stainless steel boil pot so I can store it away? Soap and water?
And what’s the best way to clean a plastic fermenting bucket for storage?
And same question for a glass carboy?

I figured soap and hot water would be fine, and then a good rinse would ready them for storage.

Before using them, I’d rinse with tap water and sterilze with Starsan. Is that good enough or should I bust out the Oxyclean?

Thanks all.

PBW or Oxyclean are good for all of the above. Stainless steel can obviously take more of a beating so a rough pad or steel wool works well, but usually not needed. For plastic buckets, I use paper towels because you don’t want scratches. For a carboy, an overnight soak of either cleaner is good. Some people have mentioned putting some sort of rag in the carboy and sloshing it around to help get it clean. But a long carboy brush works well too.

Just don’t use Oxyclean on aluminum.

Why? I have never heard this before.

I could see extended exposure removeing the oxidation layer from the kettle, but is there another reason?

Why? I have never heard this before.

I could see extended exposure removeing the oxidation layer from the kettle, but is there another reason?[/quote]

You got it. No other reason.

[quote=“dobe12”]PBW or Oxyclean are good for all of the above. Stainless steel can obviously take more of a beating so a rough pad or steel wool works well, but usually not needed. For plastic buckets, I use paper towels because you don’t want scratches. For a carboy, an overnight soak of either cleaner is good. Some people have mentioned putting some sort of rag in the carboy and sloshing it around to help get it clean. But a long carboy brush works well too.

Just don’t use Oxyclean on aluminum.[/quote]

+1
On a side note after cleaning your kettle go ahead dry it and you can store it.
The fermenting bucket just need to be washed gently and let it dry completely then place lid back on the bucket once it is fully dry. You don’t have to snap the lid on, also I place a plastic bag ontop of the bucket to prevent dust from accumulating on the lid and sides.
Once carboy is clean I leave it upside down in my smaller stock pots to let the water drip out for a couple of days. I then dump the excess water in the stock pot after 3 days then i place a napkin/coffee filter and rubber band to cover opening to allow remaining moisture to escape and store it away as normal.
You don’t have to sanitize anything after using it, just before the object is going to touch cooled wort. I know some people that sanitize everything after usage, but i feel that it is a waste. I mean i would understand it you made a ~gallon of sanitized solution to rinse out and sanitize the inside of a carboy then let dry for long term storage though. I

[quote=“woody34”]

Before using them, I’d rinse with tap water and sterilze with Starsan. Is that good enough or should I bust out the Oxyclean?

Thanks all.[/quote]

Just in case i am reading into this wrong, I hope you understand that anything that touches your cooled wort needs to be sanitized with starsan or w/e sanitize you have and not oxyclean. I wouldn’t want your beer to have the cleaning taste of oxyclean :slight_smile:

PBW for most of my cleaning.
BKF to shine up the kettle when needed.

My experience with Oxyclean and aluminum (stock pot and baking sheet) showed me that it severely pitted the aluminum with too strong of solution and soaking it for too long. It was unintentional accelerated test.

Also, I stay away from steel wool on stainless steel items. A Scotchbrite pad works great.