Cleaner for aluminum brew pot?

What do people use to clean an aluminum brew pot? It is my understanding that you don’t want to use oxygen based cleaners or detergents. Is PBW the cleaner of choice since it is alkali based? I’m just starting all-grain and was given a 7.5 gal. pot and burner so that’s what I’m going to start with. Thanks. PS. I went to class Sunday I feel totally intimidated by the process and the science.

Dish soap and a sponge.

You don’t want to remove the patina on the inside of the kettle you just want to clean off any crud and left over hops.

I just rinse mine and use a brush to remove the crud.

I don’t want to nit pik, but please verify as to dish soap, because dish detergent is different.I made this discovery when I made an insectcidal soap for spraying Pine sawfly caterpillars on my pine trees. Ivory is a dish soap while Dawn is a dish detergent? thanks again.

Any of the “standard” dish soaps that you use to handwash dishes will work on an aluminum pot - but do not use automatic dishwasher detergent which contain scouring particles.

PS. I went to class Sunday I feel totally intimidated by the process and the science.

Don’t sweat it, brewing is only as complicated as you make it. Remember that EVERYONE that has brewed has made plenty of mistakes and will make more, unless your perfect. It’s all part of learning the hobby. :wink:

I’ll pass on a mistake I made regarding an aluminum pot. I was given a turkey fryer setup and the aluminum pot it came with had oil residue in it which had been sitting at least 10 years. One of the attempts to rid it of that oil residue was to soak it in a “strong” solution of Oxyclean. I let it sit waaaayyy too long, about 2 days, and found it had pitted the aluminum. Yep, at least two mistakes made, mixing too strong of solution along with too long of exposure.

BTW- nice fly on your avatar. is that some type of midge? Tieing a fly and catching a fish on it is analogous to brewing your own beer and later sharing it and enjoying it. making your own stuff is rewarding. :cheers:

VK

The fly is the “Pink Squirrel”, It is probably one of the most effective nymphs I use as a dropper for fishing the Spring streams in the driftless area in SW Wisconsin. I also have found it very effective for panfish when using my belly boat on area Lakes.
My version of Nirvana would be working the Lily pads with a fly I’ve tied, using a rod I’ve built, and finishing the day with a homebrewed English brown Ale with friends.

[quote=“chuck”]You don’t want to remove the patina on the inside of the kettle you just want to clean off any crud and left over hops.

I just rinse mine and use a brush to remove the crud.[/quote]
That’s all I’ve done to my 60qt pot after 100’s of gallons of beer brewed over the past few years. Water & a brush. That’s it!

[quote=“flytyer”]The fly is the “Pink Squirrel”, It is probably one of the most effective nymphs I use as a dropper for fishing the Spring streams in the driftless area in SW Wisconsin. I also have found it very effective for panfish when using my belly boat on area Lakes.
My version of Nirvana would be working the Lily pads with a fly I’ve tied, using a rod I’ve built, and finishing the day with a homebrewed English brown Ale with friends.[/quote]
Nirvana indeed…add some home made sausage… :cheers:

We have a winner!

Perhaps I am a bit anal here, but I would suggest you find some that is “unscented” and is not advertised as a “soothing” formula, which equates to some sort of oil. Either of these factors can result in a slight film on the surface of the metal which is difficult to rinse off and might impact the wort.
Uncle

I just use hot water and a sponge on mine.