Clarifying beer

I am curious if people think this will work to clear up a cloudy beer:

cold crash it and then use gelatin finings - bottle two days after adding the finings

Thanks!

Yeah, that’ll work. You’ll just need to give it time in the bottle to condition/clarify.

If I bottle using priming sugar, how long to you think it will take to carbonate?

Average 2-3 weeks, keep at room temp or better and they will be awful close to 2 weeks or less in most cases. I find just using whirlfloc or irish moss and cold crashing does wonders to clarify beers.
I have never needed to employ gelatin or other to find crystal beers.

If you bottle then and let em rest at room temp until carbed and then if still cloudy let em rest as close to 32 as possible and you will see them drop clear in most cases.

Whirlfloc works best IMO and I too have never required gelatin. It doesn’t sound right to use it. I try to follow the German Purity Law of 1516. Reinheitsgebot

So do you add yeast to your beer? It 1516 they didn’t know what yeast was and was not listed as an ingredient under the purity law. :smiley:

So do you add yeast to your beer? It 1516 they didn’t know what yeast was and was not listed as an ingredient under the purity law. :smiley: [/quote]Good point as Louis Pasteur was not born yet.

Most “purity” laws like the Reinheitsgebot were put in place to either protect the public from dangerous ingredients/practices, or to protect the market share of someone with connections. I break the reinheitsgebot all the time. Opens up all kinds of possibilities for experimentation.

To the OP: If you are mashing, keep the pH in the right range. Get a vigorous boil to promote hot break. Use Irish Moss or whirlflock in the kettle. Chill quickly to promote cold break. Give the beer plenty of time before bottling and you’ll get crystal clear beer every time.