Citra Smash Biab

Hey guys. How does this one look? Does anyone know about the Bitterness to gravity ratio? I want this to end up an IPA with a hint of sweet. Is there a certain ration that I should meet to get that?

Brewer: Fred and Krista
Style: IPA
Source Recipe Link:

Original Gravity (OG): 1.067
IBU’s (Tinseth): 59.7
Bitterness to Gravity Ratio: 0.89
Colour:
ABV%: 6.05

Efficiency into Kettle (EIK): 68.8 %
Efficiency into Fermentor (EIF): 59 %

Note: This is a Pure BIAB (Full Volume Mash)

Times and Temperatures

Mash: 60 mins at 68 C = 154.4 F
Boil: 60 min
Ferment: 10 days at 17 C = 62.6 F

Volumes & Gravities

Total Water Needed (TWN): 16.52 L = 4.36 G
Volume into Kettle (VIK): 14.81 L = 3.91 G @ 1.052
End of Boil Volume - Ambient (EOBV-A): 11.04 L = 2.92 G @ 1.067
Volume into Fermentor (VIF): 9.46 L = 2.5 G @ 1.067
Volume into Packaging (VIP): 8.76 L = 2.31 G @ 1.02 assuming apparent attenuation of 70 %

The Grain Bill (Also includes extracts, sugars and adjuncts)

Note: If extracts, sugars or adjuncts are not followed by an exclamation mark, go to www.biabrewer.info (needs link)

100% Marris Otter 3629 grams = 8 pounds

The Hop Bill (Based on Tinseth Formula)

33.5 IBU Citra Pellets (12%AA) 14.2 grams = 0.499 ounces at 60 mins
16.6 IBU Citra Pellets (12%AA) 14.2 grams = 0.499 ounces at 15 mins
6.2 IBU Citra Pellets (12%AA) 7.2 grams = 0.254 ounces at 10 mins
3.4 IBU Citra Pellets (12%AA) 7.2 grams = 0.254 ounces at 5 mins
(Dry Hopped)

Mash Steps

Mash Type: Pure BIAB (Full Volume Mash) for 60 mins at 68 C = 154.4 F
Water Held Back from Mash: 3.8 L = 1 G

Water Added After Final Lauter: 3.8 L = 1 G

Miscellaneous Ingredients

1/2 Tab Whirfloc (Boil) 5 Mins - Clarity

Chilling & Hop Management Methods

Hopsock Used: N

Chilling Method: Immersion Chiller (Employed 0 mins after boil end.)

Fermentation& Conditioning

Fermention: Safale US-05 for 10 days at 17 C = 62.6 F

Req. Volumes of CO2: 2.5
Serving Temp: 6 C = 42.8 F
Condition for 7 days.
Consume within 6 months.

Special Instructions/Notes on this Beer

Maxi-BIAB Adjustments

Water Held Back from Mash: 3.8 L = 1 G

Water Added After Final Lauter: 3.8 L = 1 G

[quote=“Metalhophead”] I want this to end up an IPA with a hint of sweet.

[/quote]

Just FYI, I doubt you’re going to get much residual sweetness at all with a SMASH, especially one using MO. Maris Otter gives an almost nutty type of flavor. It’ll be darn tasty, but without specialty grain, IMO i just don’t think you’re going to have a sweet beer.

Just my 2 cents

Yep, all base grain with US-05 is going to end up around 1.010 but you could try mashing in the 155-156F range to get a little less attenuation. If you’ve bittered with Citra before and like it, ignore this comment, but I find it to add a stinky sock sort of character when boiled for more than 15-20 minutes. Great for late additions, though, so if it was my recipe I would just increase the 20-min addition to get the IBUs.

Just don’t direct fire the mash or suffer the under attenuated consequences! Maybe it’s just me…

It’s you; be careful with generalizations. I have been direct firing and continuously recirculating my MIABs (mash in a bag) for over a year now with great results. I will never go back to fly sparging. I use a false bottom under the bag and control temps with a PID, RTD and $10 furnace valve. But that is me.

Do you want sweet or maybe just not overly bitter?I recently brewed an IPa with 97 % 2 row 3% amber. 1.064 OG 1.010 FG. 52 IBUs .82 bitterness ratio. Very tasty and very drinkable IPA.

As for 60 IBUs for a 1.067 IPA, the ratio is spot on, or could go to 65, or even more IBUs at that high of gravity. If you do a hop stand of at least 45 minutes, expect approximately another 10% hop utilization.

I recently did a 1.065 IPA with ~60 calculated IBUs and a 45 minute hop stand and it’s very good.

Not sure how that translates for all citra IPA - the ones I did were APAs.

I too am a believer in a bigger percentage of citra AA’s later in the boil.

If it was me, I would add some honey malt to the grain bill. :cheers:

I did a SMASH barley wine last summer with Maris Otter. The flavor was OK, but boring. It may have needed more age, but I gave up and blended it with a boring low-gravity stout to add some complexity. It’s now somewhere between OK and fair.

Add something to kick it up a notch.

[quote=“biscuiteater”]If it was me, I would add some honey malt to the grain bill.[/quote][quote=“Old_Dawg”]Add something to kick it up a notch.[/quote]And then it won’t be a SMaSH. This is like posting “keg instead” to a thread about how to make bottling easier… :wink:

Yep.

kegging does make bottling easier…ie picnic tap to bottling wand or beergun :cheers: