Cider Methods

So I’ve made some 1L and 16oz batches of cider using store bought, preservative free apple juice with the addition of brown sugar and it has turned out quite nicely, what I’m wondering is how well would adding cider spices after primary fermentation has ceased work. Would it spoil certain aspects of secondary fermentation, mix badly, or otherwise ruin the cider? Please respond with any and all input you can offer, even if it doesn’t necessarily pertain specifically to my questions. Thanks! :smiley:

Add any spices that you like the taste of. If you’re worried about it causing problems in your secondary fermentation don’t add them until after a couple of weeks. And add slowly. If you do too little you can add more, but if you add too much you can’t remove it.

The best way to add spices to cider or beer or to anything else is to soak the spices in a couple ounces of vodka for at least 5-6 hours, then slowly add just the spiced vodka leaving the spice sediment behind. Add perhaps 1/4 of it, taste the cider to see how close you are to the right spicing level, then add more if necessary. You will rarely need the entire couple of ounces. Most times I only use 1/3 to 2/3 of it.