Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Chunky Yeast Starter

I made a 3l DME yeast starter Tuesday night with some 3 month old ECY Old Newark Ale yeast and put it on the stir plate. By midday Wednesday there is krausen and the color is turning more tan.

Get home from work yesterday and notice there are little bits of what appears to be yeast swirling around. If I turn off the stir plate they drop out almost immediately. The smell might be a bit off but I can’t tell for sure.

I’ve made a lot of starters and have never seen anything like this. Definitely going to taste it before using, but does anyone know what might be going on with this? I can’t figure out how the yeast would congeal (for lack of a better word) like that while on a stir plate.

I know nothing about that yeast, but did it look like this?

Wyeast 1968 London Ale. Flocs like crazy! I was worried, but the beer came out fine.

I’ll second the “chunkiness” of the 1698. Mine wasn’t quite so chunky. But, definitely some. Still fermenting.

That looks a lot like it. I will still taste it before brewing but you’ve put my mind to rest, thanks.

[quote=“Belpaire”]I made a 3l DME yeast starter Tuesday night with some 3 month old ECY Old Newark Ale yeast and put it on the stir plate. By midday Wednesday there is krausen and the color is turning more tan.

Get home from work yesterday and notice there are little bits of what appears to be yeast swirling around. If I turn off the stir plate they drop out almost immediately. The smell might be a bit off but I can’t tell for sure.

I’ve made a lot of starters and have never seen anything like this. Definitely going to taste it before using, but does anyone know what might be going on with this? I can’t figure out how the yeast would congeal (for lack of a better word) like that while on a stir plate.[/quote]

I don’t use a stir plate, but I do know from using ECY Old Newark that it is very flocculent…and in my experience it also seems to throw off a bit of a sulfury smell.
In any case, the beers I’ve done with that yeast have always turned out great. Assuming your sanitation has been good all along, it should be fine. I recently retired a flask of Old Newark that I have been successfully re-pitching (with no problems) since October of 2010.

Professor,
Thanks for the report on that yeast. It is definitely a sulfur smell and slight taste but now I’m not too concerned.

BTW, the Ballantine IPA is mashing as I type this.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com