Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Chugger Pump running hot

I purchased a chugger pump as my newest upgrade and used it tonight for the first time. I noticed the flow of liquid through the pump and into the fermentation bucket was great when running through sanitizer. I also noticed the flow was great after the brew was complete when flushing with clean water; however, during the cooling, it seemed to run much slower, even with the valve wide open. Any ideas?

Could it be because the hot wort is much thicker, thus slowing the discharge of the wort into the bucket. I’m using a 35 plate wort chiller if that makes any difference. I made sure to have a good prime on the pump before running it.

Afterward, the pump seemed to be warmer than it should for only transferring 5 gallons.

J

Wort isn’t thicker. High temps affect the strength of the magnets that are driving the pump impeller. They slip some at the temps of boiling wort, it’s a fact of life with these magnetically driven pumps. Nothing to worry about, as the wort cools it will pump faster.

Thank you for the information. I was unaware that the high temp fluid would affect a magnetically driven pump. Seven years of all grain brewing and I’m still learning new things. It is much appreciated.

J

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com