Christmas Ale

Happy Thanksgiving, which means I’m probably too late to think about a Christmas Ale, but oh well.
Anyone ever use NB’s Mulling Spices?

Here’s what I’m thinking about doing. (Note: this is for 3 gallons)

7lbs Golden Promise.
8oz Medium Crystal (55 SRM)
4oz Roasted Barley
1oz EKG (60 min)
??oz Mulling Spice.
Scottish Ale yeast (WY-1728)

BeerSmith says that’ll be 1.068OG and 28.7 IBUs

I’m questioning how much spice, thinking 0.25 oz? and whether to make it a flame-out addition or add to secondary. – I’m looking to reuse the yeast cake for a slightly stronger Scottish Ale, and am slightly worried about spices bleeding through.

I’m also considering MO for the base malt; but I’m not sure if it would support the spice, or get in the way…

Could do the make a tincture thing by adding the spice to some vodka and letting it sit for a few days. Then add it a little at a time to secondary rather than having it in a primary. That way when reusing the yeast from the primary there won’t be any spice in it. You can also add a little spice at a time to secondary to your liking. Read the second review at NB for the mulling spices.

Yea, that pinesol comment had me a little worried, but I was assuming (hoping) that was due to a hops problem.

You think a vodka tincture would work? Anytime I tried to make a tincture that included cinnamon, it just turned into nasty snot.

Here is one I experimented with in September. I just kegged it and it is pretty tasty. The base malt was what I had around (19 lbs of whatever base malt would be comparable. I was worried about adding the spices to the mash is a first, but it worked good for me because I wanted it very subtle. I also worried about getting a bitterness or too much flavor from mashing them, but that was not the case at all )

[quote]10 gallons

12.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 48.48 %
3.75 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 15.15 %
2.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 8.08 %
1.50 lb Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 6.06 %

1.50 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 6.06 %
1.00 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 4.04 %
1.00 lb Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM) Grain 4.04 %

1.00 oz Perle [7.60 %] (60 min) Hops 10.6 IBU
2.00 oz Crystal [2.70 %] (15 min) Hops 4.2 IBU
1.00 oz Perle [7.60 %] (5 min) Hops 2.1 IBU

0.50 tsp Allspice (Ground) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc