Chocolate

Hi all,
I know there are a ton of threads on here about using chocolate. I just want to add my 2 cents plus ask a quick question. I’m making a sweet chocolate stout as a wedding favor for my upcoming wedding. Last time I tried a chocolate stout, I used 12 ounces of unsweetened chocolate in bar form, melted and added to boil. This time, I wanted to get much more of a chocolate flavor, so we doubled that. So, I have learned a few things:

1. No sense using the bar form when powder is much easier and I would assume provides the same flavor
  2. Using 24 ounces of chocolate in the boil does give a nice flavor but not nearly as much as I expected. It’s definitely in the aroma. The lactose helps.
  3. I’ll still need to throw in a vanilla bean and some nibs anyways, so why bother use so much chocolate?!
  4. Wow, that left me with about a gallon of useless sludge. Never again.

So, I’m good on the vanilla bean. I’m seeing that 4 oz of nibs in a 5 gallon batch in the secondary will be good?

Overall it’s looking good, but I really want to blast my guests with a chocolate flavor. Any other tips would be great. Right now she’s in the 2ndary.

Mike

are you kegging the beer? If so, you might want to consider adding some chocolate syrup right into the secondary/keg. Bottling, the preservatives in the sryup would pose a problem. But if you are kegging, why not add some chocolate right to secondary/keg? If it already is a sweet beer, maybe use some dark chocolate (no sugar added). Maybe some Hershey’s right in the secondary? Hersheys has a distinct taste, and I think even a hint of it would make everyone think chocolate.

I’ve had good experience with nibs in a mead. However, the flavor IMO was very subtle and I’m not sure how it would carry over to a beer. The nibs might give some aroma. But 4 oz as a flavor contribution seems low to me.

Good luck

I’ve used nibs a couple times with success. 4 oz will give you a pretty good flavor. One thing you might want to watch out for is that nibs do give a bitter flavor so give the beer time to mellow out.