Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Chocolate Stout fountain

I had a Chocolate Stout fountain earlier today, pretty aggressive and violent fermentation for a 68 degree ferment. This is WLP 004 Irish ale yeast. Most of this batch will be going out to friends as Christmas gifts.

My OG was 1.068!

Gotta love that. I recently did a batch of Denny’s Nick Danger Porter. Decided not to check the fermenter before I went to work the next morning. Came home and found the fermentor lid had partially blown off, airlock full, lid full, a small puddle around the bucket and some collateral spray. Makes me glad it was on the unfinished basement floor so easy clean up.

I notice you have your airlock in a bung? Is the hole in your lid that big? Just curious.

What temp was it fermenting at?

Looks like 68 . Way too warm, guessing actual temp is probably close to76

[quote=“Lytnin”]Gotta love that.

I notice you have your airlock in a bung? Is the hole in your lid that big? Just curious.[/quote]

Kind of looks like a Styrofoam coffee cup!

[quote=“Stealthcruiser”][quote=“Lytnin”]Gotta love that.

I notice you have your airlock in a bung? Is the hole in your lid that big? Just curious.[/quote]

Kind of looks like a Styrofoam coffee cup![/quote]

Yea out here in San Diego sometimes it’s cheaper to ship from morebeer. Though I prefer to deal with Northernbrewer. I do like to show some loyalty for all the free information they post on this site.

For some reason the ale pales from morebeer come with huge holes in the lid. Next time I am getting an undrilled lid and make my own holes.

Why do people make this assumption? I have a thermowell and a fermometer, and they agree as much as they can for the difference in precision.

Why do people make this assumption? I have a thermowell and a fermometer, and they are agree as much as they can for the difference in precision.[/quote]

I agree, how could the temp of a churning liquid be that different?

Why do people make this assumption? I have a thermowell and a fermometer, and they are agree as much as they can for the difference in precision.[/quote]

I agree, how could the temp of a churning liquid be that different?[/quote]

fermentation does create a little heat, not 10 degrees though

Also… fermometers are pretty accurate. I’ve tested and know for a fact mine read within 1-2 degrees of the actual fermenting beer temp.

THat’s not a great test…Never had a single one work accuratly, maybe the within the first couple weeks of putting it on but their shit IMO

I’d agree that a fermometer is fairly close to wort temp as opposed to ambient. It seemd like the original comment assumed the 68F was ambient, not read off the fermometer. One could understand an 8F increase in beer temp vs ambient espeically if it ran away like it appears this one did. He had a fermometer on the bucket so if it read 68F that should’ve been fine. Sometimes a thick wort will have a heck of a krausen on it, and of course certain yeasts are worse than others.

THat’s not a great test…Never had a single one work accuratly, maybe the within the first couple weeks of putting it on but their #### IMO[/quote]

What’s not a great test? I test the wort/beer temp and compare to what the fermometer reads. It’s always either right on or very close and they’ve been stuck on for 2-3 years now.

THat’s not a great test…Never had a single one work accuratly, maybe the within the first couple weeks of putting it on but their #### IMO[/quote]

RDWHAHB mang :cheers:

What’s not a great test? I test the wort/beer temp and compare to what the fermometer reads. It’s always either right on or very close and they’ve been stuck on for 2-3 years now.[/quote]

just because it is accurate on yours doesn’t mean everyone has that accuracy. I am not talking about how you did it.

Jeez… ok… let me rephrase my statement. MY fermomentors have always read within 1-2 degrees of the actual fermenting wort/beer in MY fermentors. And even though I’ve tested on buckets, better bottles, and glass carboys please know these are only my findings and these findings do not mean your fermometers will be accurate.

Please also know that no wort, beer, fermentors whether plastic or glass, thermometers or fermometers were injured during these tests.

:cheers:

[quote=“dobe12”]Jeez… ok… let me rephrase my statement. MY fermomentors have always read within 1-2 degrees of the actual fermenting wort/beer in MY fermentors. And even though I’ve tested on buckets, better bottles, and glass carboys please know these are only my findings and these findings do not mean your fermometers will be accurate.

Please also know that no wort, beer, fermentors whether plastic or glass, thermometers or fermometers were injured during these tests.

:cheers: [/quote]

Lol

I’ve had fermometers wear out but I think it had to do with submersing them in my swamp cooler too many times. They weren’t inaccurate they just quit showing any temp.

For what it is worth I have also found them to be very accurate. The manufacturer did some accuracy testing on the product and weighed in on another forum. In short, do not immerse. Avoid harsh chemicals.

http://www.tkachenterprises.com/Products.html http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/how-do- ... ndex2.html

[quote=“Hades”]For what it is worth I have also found them to be very accurate. The manufacturer did some accuracy testing on the product and weighed in on another forum. In short, do not immerse. Avoid harsh chemicals.

http://www.tkachenterprises.com/Products.html http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/how-do- ... ndex2.html[/quote]

well of course their testing is going to be good.
I never had an issue with the accuracy although never fretted about it’s accuracy so I have no idea how accurate mine were when using them, having them last longer than a month was my major issue with them. They would either stop working or show really wacked out temperatures
I just have a good thermometer sitting by my carboys clipped onto the milkcrate they sit in and has been within 1-3 degrees of wort/beer

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com