Chocolate Milk Stout Stuck Fermentation

Fellow Brewers,

My third batch, a NB Chocolate Milk Stout has been in primary for 2 weeks. Checked FG today and it is at 1.026 (OG was 1.052). Hopville tells me I should hit 1.016. When I popped the lid to draw a sample, there was some krausen looking stuff on top–not thick and frothy, but there was a sold layer of foam across the top. In my two prior fermentations, all of that had settled by the 2 week mark.

Seems like it is still high (The sample from my hydrometer reading didn’t taste too bad). I am supposed to add some cacao nibs to secondary, so I don’t feel like i can just leave it in the primary bucket for another two weeks and then just bottle…at some point I need to rack it and get that cacao in there.

Most of my reading this morning online suggests that adding yeast isn’t the solution - since I don’t have any slurry around…have not get that far into this stuff yet.

My temp is currently at 71. it has been between 66-69 til now.

Thanks.

Just let it sit. Two weeks is way too early to judge a beer, especially if there’s still kreusen on top. Does the kit use lactose sugar?

Yes that recipe uses a pound of lactose. I just brewed it a few weeks ago but have not checked gravity yet.

Good encouragement. I will sit on it another week. Yes, it does have a pound of lactose. Not sure how lactose would impact the fermentation process. I would guess that it is not as fermentation as most malts.

It sounds like sitting in primary for three weeks and then secondary for two is a perfectly good plan, eh?

[quote=“Idahorusty”]Good encouragement. I will sit on it another week. Yes, it does have a pound of lactose. Not sure how lactose would impact the fermentation process. I would guess that it is not as fermentation as most malts.

It sounds like sitting in primary for three weeks and then secondary for two is a perfectly good plan, eh?[/quote]

Something to keep in mind when using lactose powder is that it is 100% non-fermentable. This means that you Final Gravity is going to look higher because of the leftover sugar (which you want for that creamy vibe of a milk stout). Either way, gravity readings tell you what’s really going on in your brew so take one in a week and if it’s the same or only slightly lower I’d say you’re good to rack for secondary or bottling.

Thanks Rambleon. That’s what I’ll do.

I made this beer back in the beginning of November, my first all grain. Had a starting gravity of 1.058 let it ferment in the primary until December. just added my nibs right in the primary and some fresh ground coffee too. My final gravity was 1.028, I thought it was a bit high but went with it and kegged. That beer was good, got great reviews from my friends. Not 20 minutes ago my wife asked when I was brewing that again as we blew thru it way to fast. So let it sit for a bit and just package it and enjoy. I do not think you will be disappointed.