Chocolate milk stout flavors

I would cold crash, then rack off very quietly… You should be able to leave it all behind… Sneezles61

1 Like

I agree with @sneezles61careful racking with or without cold crashing and you should be fine. Your friend with the coffee grounds rushed the process somehow.

Well this weekend is my bottling date. Unfortunately I have a very thin, very mild white film on top of my beer inside my secondary. I truly hope this isn’t an infection of any type. I sanitized everything well, and kept air out as best as I could… no different than any other time I have brewed. My hopes are that this is a byproduct of the lactose and the oils from the cacao nibs. The nibs were all soaked extensively in bourbon so they should have been safe. I will obviously taste it before I bottle to make sure it’s good to go, I’m a little nervous because I have never had an infection before. I will keep you all posted

Sanitize your wine thief/turkey baster and pull out 4 oz… Sneezles61

An infection can be more like a film/skin on the surface

Me did order some cocua nibs. Should be next week on island. Kind of sceptical. Using them. Been reading. Lots. Some say 3 days in fermentor than pull out. Other wise to strong if you leave it to long. Did make to jars. Of vanilla bean soaked in vodka. Will add the first one monday. After i am done with the nibs. Take a sample. If. So add other. Vanilla bean jar. Its a 6.6 gal batch. Think add about 100 gram. Cocou nibs???

I think 100 grams of nibs in a stout will be about right. I really think nibs vary too much to be reliable and I cannot see getting too much chocolate from them ever.

1 Like

I’ve NEVER had too much chocolate from nibs. And I’ve left them for a couple weeks.

2 Likes

Well if it WAS an infection, it didn’t do much to the flavors. Overall it tasted fine, albeit not what I expected either. I used some hazelnut, attempting to make a Nutella type flavor. I also used a type of cacao powder that basically makes a coffee type drink. It came out tasting more like coffee, not a ton like chocolate (even though I used lots… kinda sad there), so rather than brand it a chocolate milk stout or a Nutella milk stout… I’m going to call it a hazelnut espresso milk stout.