Chlorinated Water

Some of the posts I’ve read in other forums state that chlorinated water added to the wort is an absolute killer for the taste.

I’ve done partial boils and added tapwater to the fermenter to get the required volume without noticeable problems. Other people have tasted my brews including one guy that has drank in almost every brewpub in Chicago, IL and no-one has complained.

According to my most recent annual water report, chlorine was listed at 1.47 ppm. So far I’ve been brewing ales in the spectrum from red ales to stouts.

I’d welcome some discussion on this.

Thanks

Doesn’t sound like he’s overly picky or discriminating :mrgreen:

This may be because you are making ales with somewhat complex flavor profiles. The problems of chlorine (tasting like, well, chlorine or band aid (chlorophenol)) may be more apparent when making beers with more straightforward grain bills, such as paler pale ales, most lagers, steams, etc. Roasted grains and other darker crystals can tend to cover up flavor flaws.

Said more simply, reds and stouts have a lot going on. The off-flavors that are there might just be below flavor thresholds, or they may be muddied up by other flavors.

Simplest fix: buy a $2.95 package of camden tabs, and dissolve 1/2 per 5 gallons of strike/sparge water. It will bind to both chlorine and chloramines and they will precipitate out prior to packaging. I bought one after my one and only band-aid beer and its lasted me over 2 years (including some ciders, which need more).

Chlorine gives an obvious smell/taste to homebrew. Maybe you can’t detect it and your buds are just being nice, I don’t know… You have the same level of chlorine as me and there’s no way I would consider brewing without treatment. For me that is using an activated carbon filter. Pretty cheap and easy. I also believe you can draw all your brewing water and let if off gas overnight and/or using a campden tablet, but never used these techniques myself. I fought the chlorine battle a long time ago.

Lastly, I never made a beer that I was proud of until I did a full wort boil. Huuuge quality bump. I know, the cost of the kettle and the chiller, but just saying…

:cheers:

when water is boiled the chlorine quickly dissipates. There should be no impact on beer by using chlorinated water since it will be boiled. Am I missing something?

Option #3. Boil water before brewing :smiley:

I think the reactions occur prior to boiling…

You need to boil it before using it. Otherwise, the chlorophenols will already be formed.

Sometimes the chloramines in my water are heavy and noticeable and sometimes they are barely detectable. Its cheap insurance to add the Campden.