Chinook IPA question

Have a batch of Chinook where primary fermentation is about finished (it’s been 8 days since the boil and bubbling in airlock is almost non-existent). I plan to take a hydrometer reading, but assuming a good reading, should I add the last .05 oz of hops then, or wait another week before adding them?

Whenever I add the final hops my plan is to keep the batch in the primary carboy and not transfer to 2nd carboy. Any thoughts on how long I should keep it in the primary after I add the hops? The directions are vague( “one to two weeks”) and after being on this forum as a newbie I think I’m starting to value the sage advice on this board vs a set of directions. I’m guessing 2 weeks but it’s just a guess.

Thanks to all who respond.

You’re fine to add the hops. Let it sit for two more weeks with the hops in there.

I would add the dry hops after your gravity reading. Also I have always dry hopped for no longer than seven days to avoid grassy flavors. However, some people do dry hop beyond seven days. I believe majority of the aroma is obtained within a few days so seven days is plenty in my experience.

Like most things in brewing, you’ll get a ton of different answers on this. From what I’ve read (on here), you’ll get the best results by dry-hopping for one week at room temps. After that, you can cold crash and bottle.

As for the grassy flavors, I regularly keg hop, in which case the hops are in contact with the beer for extended periods, albeit at colder temps. When I do keg hop, I give it one week at room temp, then into the kegerator. I haven’t had problems with grassy flavors or aromas.

:cheers:

[quote=“El Capitan”]Like most things in brewing, you’ll get a ton of different answers on this. From what I’ve read (on here), you’ll get the best results by dry-hopping for one week at room temps. After that, you can cold crash and bottle.

As for the grassy flavors, I regularly keg hop, in which case the hops are in contact with the beer for extended periods, albeit at colder temps. When I do keg hop, I give it one week at room temp, then into the kegerator. I haven’t had problems with grassy flavors or aromas.

:cheers: [/quote]

Agree with above, I drop bags of hops in my kegs quite often and don’t pull them out until the keg kicks

[quote=“brw”]…should I add the last .05 oz of hops then, or wait another week before adding them?[/quote]I hope you mean “0.5 oz” because 0.05 isn’t going to do anything for you (unless you’re brewing a Coors Light clone and wave them over the boil kettle).

Yes I meant .05. But as a follow up to an eariler reply, what is cold crashing–how and why is it done? Thanks again from a newb…

Sorry but you put .05 again. If it is only .05 then you might not even want to waste the time.
Cold crashing is bringing your fermenter temps down as close to 32* as you can. This allows yeast and other particles to settle out, providing a much clearer beer. In addition, it can help smooth the beer out.