Chimay Blue Label - pacman?

Just got a Chimay Grand Reserve (blue label) at my local Harris Teeter. First time I’ve had it. Very good. Even SWMBO likes it and she really doesn’t care for any beer. My first sip I was afraid it was going to be too sweet, fruity and fizzy but there’s enough malt to keep my unrefined Irish palate coming back. So this is made with Pacman yeast? I’m definitely going to try and harvest some from the bottom of the bottle! I assume that’s a nickname. They mention Father Theodor on the bottle. What’s the formal name for the yeast?

:cheers:

I’m fairly certain it’s a belgian strain, not pacman. unless they use pacman to bottle condition, i think they bottle condition with the same strain they ferment with ( i could be wrong )

I’ve successfully harvested their yeast from chimay red. although i never used it in a batch

[quote=“S.Scoggin”]I’m fairly certain it’s a belgian strain, not pacman. unless they use pacman to bottle condition, i think they bottle condition with the same strain they ferment with ( i could be wrong )

I’ve successfully harvested their yeast from chimay red. although i never used it in a batch[/quote]

That would make more sense. I saw someplace it was pacman but can’t remember where. Or maybe I just misunderstood the thread.

The Chimay yeast is wyeast 1214. White labs also makes it but I don’t recall the number.

Thanks! There’s a nice little bit of yeast at the bottom of the bottle. I’m going to try and culture it. May not be a lot of viable yeast left from that 10% beer huh?

White Labs # is WLP 500. If you want to get the yeast from the bottle, you should probably get it from a fresh bottle of the red label. It has a lower alcohol content. I think it is probably a bottling strain though. Pac Man would probably be a good bottling strain. I usually use what ever English yeast I have around to bottle my strong Belgians. You should use a Belgian strain for your primary fermentation if you want the correct character.

I’m using wlp500 on a Belgian IPA recipe and have been fermenting super controlled in the 58-60 degree range to keep the stronger flavors low key. It still smells so similar to cgimay in the fermenter and they ferment as high as 85!
if I remember it correctly