Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Chest freezer death

Pours one out. Chest freezer went down this weekend. What a bummer. And found out the bad why, noticing that my newly pitched beer was running at 73F. grrrrrrrrr

Really had spending money on replacing something, instead of getting a new toy.

I just had a similar thing happen to me, but caught the start of temperature rise in time, ran out to the appliance store, bought a “dinged” one for over a third off, got it back home, plugged in and saved the brew! Then I saw where I can recycle the old one and get a $50 energy upgrade rebate from the electric utility company - Sweet. And the new one hardly even runs, so I am saving electricity, too. I hope you can salvage your brew at least.

Threw it in a swamp cooler and got my temps down. Really need to find a used one. Really don’t feel like shelling out $400 for another one. Of course I got accustomed to 14.8 cubic ft one, and don’t want to get a smaller one.

I am still pissed.

[quote=“muddywater_grant”]Threw it in a swamp cooler and got my temps down. Really need to find a used one. Really don’t feel like shelling out $400 for another one. Of course I got accustomed to 14.8 cubic ft one, and don’t want to get a smaller one.

I am still pissed.[/quote]

Which model, and how old was it? What sort of environment had it been running in (cool year round, warm year round, humid year round, etc)?

I have two Maytag 14.8’s in my garage that are about a month old… would be interested if I should be expecting early death.

Cheers.

Have no clue how old. It came with the house. But I would say ten years easy. It looked dated.

Weather: Charleston SC

So hot and humid, other times extremely hot and humid.

[quote=“muddywater_grant”]Have no clue how old. It came with the house. But I would say ten years easy. It looked dated.

Weather: Charleston SC

So hot and humid, other times extremely hot and humid.[/quote]

I have to go to North Charleston every other month or so to visit one of our plants. Late August is hell.

Cheers.

Grant-

Keep and eye on craigslist. You should find something below $200 in decent condition quickly!

[quote=“holaday1185”]Grant-

Keep and eye on craigslist. You should find something below $200 in decent condition quickly![/quote]
If you find a decent ~15 cu. ft model, snatch it up immediately. When I was looking for one last year, I found that they are fairly uncommon on craigslist and the good ones go very fast. Don’t hesitate!

I ended up buying a new one at Sears for about $350 on sale.

[quote=“muddywater_grant”]

Have no clue how old. It came with the house. But I would say ten years easy. It looked dated. [/quote]
From what I was reading, chest freezers can last decades if used as intended. I also read that the way we use them (as a keezer or ferm. chamber), the tend to go prematurely.

[quote=“holaday1185”]Grant-

Keep and eye on craigslist. You should find something below $200 in decent condition quickly![/quote]

I looked. Couldn’t find anything big enough. Ended up ordering one from Lowes today $359, on sale. Down from $499. 14.8 frigidaire I believe. Needed one before national homebrew day.

Are you planning on coming? I’m hosting this year. Should be a decent time. If I can get someone else to bring their rig, I would like to do two brews. The recommended blonde ale, and wanted to do a white IPA as well.

Yeah I should be coming. My brewing setup isn’t necessarily mobile. Maybe I could mash in before driving to your house? I’ve got a great blonde recipe using Belma hops.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com