Chest freezer - cubic ft

Looking into a chest freezer that can hold 2 fermenters with enough room for blowoff tube. Is 5 cu ft enough? Excuse my ignorance on how to measure cubic feet. Thank you.

Hank

Cubic feet is L x W x H.

Best idea is to make a couple paper cut outs of your fermenters. Then head down to Sears/Best Buy etc and see what fits. Bring a tape measure and get the dimensions of the “inside”. Some have more insulation that others so the outside dimensions can be different.

From there you can scrounge craigslist, the local paper or garage sales.

Will do, thank you.

[quote=“hank1105”]Looking into a chest freezer that can hold 2 fermenters with enough room for blowoff tube. Is 5 cu ft enough? Excuse my ignorance on how to measure cubic feet. Thank you.

Hank[/quote]

When I got a freezer years ago I didn’t worry a lot about actual size, per say, I just got the biggest one I could afford that would fit where I wanted to put it.

Did my measurements and went with GE 8.8 cubic feet, bought a new one, don’t ask, I am weird that way. In any event, can’t wait for him to be delivered from Lowes :slight_smile:

I have the same one! You are going to be very pleased.

Make sure you don’t cheap out on the external temperature control.

I would also either get a food grade, liquid safe temperature probe or use some kind of a buffer solution (mine is a very high tech red solo cup filled with iodine solution to keep from growing any ickies).

Also, a word to the wise. Apply a very light layer of caulk to the bottom creases of your freezer. Using temps slightly above freezing (sometimes even high 50s when I’m making a hybrid) can get you a lot of condensation and once you get stuff growing in the cracks and corners, even bleach won’t get rid of it.

Good luck!

[quote=“robbop88”]I have the same one! You are going to be very pleased.

Make sure you don’t cheap out on the external temperature control.

I would also either get a food grade, liquid safe temperature probe or use some kind of a buffer solution (mine is a very high tech red solo cup filled with iodine solution to keep from growing any ickies).

Also, a word to the wise. Apply a very light layer of caulk to the bottom creases of your freezer. Using temps slightly above freezing (sometimes even high 50s when I’m making a hybrid) can get you a lot of condensation and once you get stuff growing in the cracks and corners, even bleach won’t get rid of it.

Good luck![/quote]

Can yo expand on the cheap external temp control? The controller in my signature line works great and many people are using it with much success.

The caulking ideas is a great idea to bring up. Sometime the freezer will start to rust in the corners/edges. Caulking will prevent this.

I purchased a Johnston or something like that temp controller, got great reviews on Amazon and I have seen it mentioned before.

Regarding caulking the creases, are you talking about inside the freezer itself?

[quote=“hank1105”]I purchased a Johnston or something like that temp controller, got great reviews on Amazon and I have seen it mentioned before.

Regarding caulking the creases, are you talking about inside the freezer itself?[/quote]

Yes.

Thanks Nighthawk.