Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Cheapo SS Pot Thread

I tried searching but came up short, a few months back there was a thread about some cheap thin SS 30 qt pots like those that come with turkey fryers. I’m looking to pick up a couple to use as fermenters. If anyone has any links to a site that sells them it would be most appreciated.

Check Amazon or ebay, they have tons.

To use as fermenters? How do you plan to seal it? Or are you going to do the open fermentation thing?
I thought about picking a 30qt SS pot up to use for a direct fired mashtun with a ball valve. Amazon has some decently priced ones.

[quote=“Beersk”]To use as fermenters? How do you plan to seal it? Or are you going to do the open fermentation thing?
[/quote]If it has enough lip on the lid I’ll get a big O ring from McMaster-Carr and devise some kind of bar clamp using the handles, otherwise open ferment with the lid on.

I have searched those places, seems like once they get over 20 qt the prices increases significantly. The thread I was searching for had a link to a site that had 28 or 30 qt pots for around $35.

This place has good prices on aluminum, and I think you get free shipping if you spend a certain amount.

http://spikebrewing.com/collections/bargain-cave

[quote=“tom sawyer”]This place has good prices on aluminum, and I think you get free shipping if you spend a certain amount.

http://spikebrewing.com/collections/bargain-cave[/quote]

Wow, those are some pretty good prices. I can only assume that aluminum would be fine to ferment in as stainless is?

I don’t see why not, they work fine for boiling.

I’m not sure I’m terribly keen on using pots as fermentors. Seems like plastic buckets are superior as far as sealing, cost, etc.

I would say that aluminum fermenters would not be safe.

At pH values below 4.5 aluminum solubility rapidly increases, causing aluminum concentrations to rise above 5 ppm. Typically fermented beer has a PH of 4.0, coupled with the prolonged exsposure you could expect in a fermentation vessel would cause the amount of aluminum present in the finished product to be at potentially hazardous levels.

Aluminum brewing kettles are typically safe as the PH of unfermented wort usually >5, coupled with a passive oxide layer in the aluminum brew pot and low contact time <3 hours brings solubility concerns to a negligible level.

So just passivate by brewing a batch in it first. I kind of assume he’s wanting to boil and ferment in the same container. There’d be no other advantage to fermenting in a kettle.

What advantage, if any, would there be to doing it that way at all? Just not having to transfer to a fermenter? You’d still have tons of break material in there unless you used hop bags.

I believe the low pH and extended contact time would disolve the oxide layer. I know that from experience a Star San solution will remove a majority of the oxide layer in a few hours.

Isn’t the bigger concern that it might make the beer taste toxic? From what I’ve understand it will make the beer taste bad long before it’s at a high enough concentration to be hazardous. Cities try to keep water supply concentrations below ~0.05ppm for cosmetic reasons.

I don’t intend to boil and ferment in the same pot, I have a converted keg and a 15 gallon stock pot for boiling. I have buckets that need replaced and the last bucket I bought a year and a half ago doesn’t have the reinforcing ribs on the bottom around the perimeter like my older buckets do. I’ve read several places that people have had the non-reinforced buckets crack around the perimeter. I figured if I could find some lightweight SS pots I’d use them in place of buckets plus they’d last forever.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com