Changing Keg Temperature

Hello Everyone,

I’ve recently picked up chest freezer that I am going to convert into a keezer in the near future. While I’ll still be working from picnic taps for a while, my plan is to move a kegged American Brown from my lager fridge (currently set at 33*) to the chest freezer (which I will set at 42*). My question is: do I need to reset the CO2 level in some way to maintain my preferred carbonation level of 2.4 volumes?

This Keg Carbonation Calculator

tells me that to achieve 2.4 volumes, the pressure should be set to 7.8 psi in the lager fridge, but should be set to 12.2 psi if I set the chest freezer to 42*. Since the beer is already carbonated, do I still need to make the adjustment?

[quote=“Dan S”]Hello Everyone,

I’ve recently picked up chest freezer that I am going to convert into a keezer in the near future. While I’ll still be working from picnic taps for a while, my plan is to move a kegged American Brown from my lager fridge (currently set at 33*) to the chest freezer (which I will set at 42*). My question is: do I need to reset the CO2 level in some way to maintain my preferred carbonation level of 2.4 volumes?

This Keg Carbonation Calculator

tells me that to achieve 2.4 volumes, the pressure should be set to 7.8 psi in the lager fridge, but should be set to 12.2 psi if I set the chest freezer to 42*. Since the beer is already carbonated, do I still need to make the adjustment?[/quote]

I’m no expert on carbonation so anyone feel free to correct me. Short answer I think is no if you drink the beer relatively quickly. You just need the gas to serve it.

However my understanding is that over time CO2 will escape from the solution to balance with the surrounding pressure. So leaving it set to 7.8 will eventually result in a lower carbonation level.

You’re on track. When you move it to the serving fridge, increase your psi to warmer temp and you shouldn’t see any difference in carbonation.

Thanks guys – always something new to learn with this hobby, which is half the fun, of course. :cheers: