Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Change of yeast for porter?

I’ll be brewing the Midnight Beatdown Wheaten Porter Partial Mash soon. First time brewing this one. The recommended yeasts are US-05, Omega West Coast Ale 1, or WY 1056. I have harvested WY 1056 on hand so of the three that would be my choice. A dry Irish stout fermented with the harvested WY 1056 had an FG of 1.006. Very light in body with the low FG. I had added some maltodextrin to each glass to increase the body.

What do you think of brewing this porter with WY 1332 to finish at about 1.012 with a partial mash temperature of about 154°F. Would there be some ester production that would not go well with a porter? I’ve just harvested some from a Caribou Slobber.

1332 was originally a british strain before it became a “northwest ale” strain. I’d say go for it! Porter + UK strain = win.

A porter with a really low FG doesn’t sound too pleasant.

I second the English strain. I us 04 with nice results. I just used wy1968 in a esb that had some nice esters I may try that in a Porter. And yes do your mash at 154 or even 156 which is what I shoot for and let it bleed down to 154. I’m happy with the body I get

For reference sake, I brewed this back in October 2014 with 1056. I did not do a starter. It was my second ever attempt at a partial mash before I got into AG so take that for what it’s worth. My OG was 1.065 and my FG was 1.019. It’s a delicious beer, I should try it again now that I have more experience under my belt and see how it changes.

:beers:
Rad

p.s. Out of curiosity, I realize this is a partial mash recipe, what would you reccomend subbing in grain-wise for the 6lbs of Wheat LME if I wanted to try this AG instead of Partial mash? According to the description the LME is 65% wheat and 35% pale and to replace 6 lbs of LME I should need 8 lbs of grain at 75% efficiency. Something like 5.6 lbs white wheat and 2.4 lbs pale 2-row or am I oversimplifying and missing something?

Thank you for all the advice. I’ll use the WY 1332 and go for an initial mash in temp of 156°F to keep the FG up.

1 Like

Good choice Frank. I’ve done porters with 1272 and they don’t have the body or mouth feel I like though were very clean good beers. More like a schwarzbier to be honest.

1968 or 1469 make a great porter also

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com