Change my IPA to a Dark Rye IPA

I want to make a Dark Rye IPA and age it till Christmas. Here is my IPA recipe. I have never used Rye, nor have I ever made a dark IPA. How much rye should I use. And should I use roast barley? and if so, how much. Thanks in advance.

15lb 2row
10oz Caramunich
1/4oz Chocolate

.5oz cascade 60
.5chinook 60
2oz cascade 15
2oz cascade 10
2oz cascade 5

2 week secondary Oak/2 oz cascade

Thinking about bumping the first 2 hop additions to 1oz for some more IBU’s
Any help is appriciated. Thanks.

I find that you need about 20% rye (minimum) for it to really have an effect on flavor.

Thanks. Do you think adding 3oz of RB would be too much? I want it to be dark and have some bite but not too much.

Sorry, you’re asking the wrong guy. I hate dark IPA. AFAIAC, the roasted barley clashes with the high hopping.

Why are you aging an IPA?

Are you sure you don’t want to make a rye hoppy porter?

My thoughts exactly.

Also, if you want to make a dark IPA, use debittered malts like carafa for color.

Maybe Ill just keep it a rye IPA. The reason I was gonna age it (only 2 months till Christmas anyway) was because its gonna have an OG of around 1.075. I have never done a bigger beer than 1.050 so I was just gonna age it a bit just to do it. But if there is no point in aging it, Ill just brew it and drink it!

Although a Hoppy Rye Porter sounds amazing too. Hmmmmmmm…

[quote=“twotacotuesday”]Maybe Ill just keep it a rye IPA. The reason I was gonna age it (only 2 months till Christmas anyway) was because its gonna have an OG of around 1.075. I have never done a bigger beer than 1.050 so I was just gonna age it a bit just to do it. But if there is no point in aging it, Ill just brew it and drink it!

Although a Hoppy Rye Porter sounds amazing too. Hmmmmmmm…[/quote]

IMO, 1.075 isn’t really a big beer. Certainly not enough to need aging.

For a 1.07… beer, i don’t think 2 months is too long to keep it around, especially if you are bottle conditioning. If you really want the rye to stand out, i’d suggest something around 20%. If i were doing this beer, i’d utilize de-bittered black malt to bring color to it. Rumor has it, cold steeping as technique works well for adding color http://www.brew-dudes.com/cold-steeping … grains/684. All opinions aside, be creative and see what works.