Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Challenger IPA

Any suggestions for a hops schedule for an all challenger IPA ?
I’ve got to jettison some inventory.
I’ll brew to an OG of 1.070 with 2-row,pale ale, and munich malts and a BU:GU ratio more or less around 1.

Don’t do it. I have made an all Challenger IPA before and it is a nasty hop, in my humble opinion.

Well, I rather like them. Made a best bitter with 'em that went away fast.
As I said earlier, I’ve got to dump inventory and I’ve got about 12 oz of challenger.
Alternatives to throwing them away ?

[quote=“simple”]Well, I rather like them. Made a best bitter with 'em that went away fast.
As I said earlier, I’ve got to dump inventory and I’ve got about 12 oz of challenger.
Alternatives to throwing them away ?[/quote]

If you like them that’s what counts. Do an IPA with them and add a bit of goldings near the end.

Any suggestions for a hops schedule ?

I’ve also done an all Challenger bitter and liked it a lot. For an IPA, I’d use my standard schedule
FWH
Flameout
Dry Hop

Weights would depend on your alpha acid. I usually ignore what BeerSmith tells me about IBUs and use at least an ounce at 20 and 5

Thanks.

I got a pound of Challenger on the cheap from Hops Direct last year and they are just fantastic. They will be featured prominently in my ESB’s and English IPA’s over the next year or so.

As far as hop schedule goes, I’d bitter to about 20-30 IBU’s with a 60-minute addition, reserve 5 ounces for dry hops, then dump the rest in at flameout and do a 60-minute hop stand/whirlpool. But that’s just how I roll with my IPA’s.

Did you brew this?

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com