Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Chainlink fence?

I’ve been poking around for people growing on a 4’ tall chain link fence, but can’t find anything firm.
I want to start growing hops, but don’t want random trellises/arches in my yard… my wife would burn them down.

I know height is best, but can hops grow well horizontally?

Hops will grow on anything. They will twine up that chain link no problem.

once they get to the top, they will still grow up into the air…several bines growing together for support…but will eventually fall back down to the fence or ground. So you are likely to end up with a bit of a snarl and a fence that looks overrun and covered with hops.

Not necessarily a bad thing, but depends on your view. They will flower, although not as heavily if grown taller. You may have some flowers that get buried in the mass of bines and do not develop as well. At the end of the season, it could be a PITA to remove dried bines off the fence if you need to have it clear of remnant vegetation. I thought about using a blow torch once.

So…yes it can work. But not ideal.

+1 to everything pinnah said. Blow torch – I love it! But he’s right!

For years I’ve been growing hops up my deer fencing and them horizontally along the top. A couple years ago, I got 27 lb. (wet) from the single plant in this photo. Picking and cleaning up the bines isn’t as easy as growing them vertically, but this was my only option.

http://s794.photobucket.com/user/dennyconn/media/Hops%202012/442B624A-F8A5-4F25-BA53-4D283902EB05-2505-000002FA69AC88C2.jpg.html

I grow mine on an unused clothesline in the back yard. They’re at eye level and easy to deal with.

http://s794.photobucket.com/user/dennyconn/media/Hops%202012/442B624A-F8A5-4F25-BA53-4D283902EB05-2505-000002FA69AC88C2.jpg.html
[/quote]

I’ve been wondering about this question for years now: do people who grow their own hops just try to guess at an accurate AA level for their hops, or is there any kind of “AA test meter” on the homebrew market (I’ve definitely never heard of one)or do they just chuck them into their beer and take whatever they get? I can’t see growing my own hops any time soon, but I’ve always been curious about this.

I mainly use them in ways where the AA won’t matter much, but often I have so much that I’ll bitter with them too. I just make a WAG at the AA and adjust n the next batch if necessary. There are services available that will analyze them for you if you want to spend the money.

What’s a WAG? I’m usually pretty good at figuring out acronyms, but the meaning of that one is eluding me. I’m thinking the G stands for guess?

What’s a WAG? I’m usually pretty good at figuring out acronyms, but the meaning of that one is eluding me. I’m thinking the G stands for guess?[/quote]

Wild Ass Guess

SWAG= Scientific Wild Ass Guess

What’s a WAG? I’m usually pretty good at figuring out acronyms, but the meaning of that one is eluding me. I’m thinking the G stands for guess?[/quote]

Wild Ass Guess

SWAG= Scientific Wild Ass Guess[/quote]

Thanks. I was thinking after I made the last post that maybe that was what it stood for. :lol:

I’ve seen in person a Cascade bush at a house that was no higher than 4ft. It produced rediculous amounts of cones. Coolest bush ever! I transplanted some centennial and Zeus to my front yard landscaping last year. This coming growing season is year 2 for them. They did well last year but I just have them on 4 ft fan trellis’s. Pretty excited to see what they do!

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com