Centennial Hops gone wild

As of last Saturday my hops had just started to poke through the ground, in a matter of 4 days my centennial mound has 15 bines some as long as five inches. This is only a second year hop mound but would it be worth wild to have multiple supports to the same mount or should I prune back the 15 to five and run one support to climb?

I anchor my twine near the crown, then run two lines up in a V. I train 2-3 bines per twine. Centennial will do that - they’re about my worst variety for sending out long shoots. You can excavate them back to the crown, cut them off, and replant them in another hill. A cheap and easy way to extend your hopyard, if you’re crazy for Cents!

[quote=“El Capitan”]A cheap and easy way to extend your hopyard, if you’re crazy for Cents![/quote]And who isn’t? If I could only have one hop, Centennial would be at the top of the list!

To the OP - if you need some help disposing of excess crown, I’ll pay postage to send it to Texas. :wink:

van,

You’ll probably have at least 15 more pop up over the next month or so, so you’ll have plenty to train. Centennials don’t perform well for me either so I’ll train about 5 shoots per pole x 3 poles and manage to get a decent harvest. The sidearms only get to be about 10 inches long so they don’t get tangled like the Cascades do. They’re fun to experiment with. Hop to it!

The C hops are crazy producers. My 2nd year chinook already has a dozen sprouts and a formidable crown. Meanwhile I’m waiting on cascade rhizomes.

From what i hear Those cascades might end up taking over my garden. Might try some cents next year
:twisted:

Thanks to all…good info!