Cascade Hops with Saison Wyeast 3711

I have some left over hops and a Wyeast 3711 French Saison yeast cake I need to pitch on. Would the Saison clash with Cascade Hops and maybe some sweet dried orange peel?

Cheers,

I think it’s a great idea! Check out The Mad Fermentationist’s blog - he’s got some great sounding recipes for unconventional hoppy saisons that use some non-traditional hop combinations. Might provide some inspiration. As long as you keep the IBU under control, it should work out just fine.

Enter style guru in 3… 2… 1… :mrgreen:

Go for it just don’t use to much that you cover up the yeast flavor. I actually made one last season with leftover willimete and cascade that came out quit well.

Thanks for that resource!

What would be a recommended IBU’s for the Saison? (I have beersmith to design and calculate things). I was thinking of using Centennial for the bittering since they tend to go well with Cascade.

Cheers!

I’m certainly not an expert in Saisons, but I wouldn’t go any higher than 30-35, with most of the hops added at flameout if you wanted to take advantage of the Cascades. The style is so dry that bitterness stands out a lot more than in something like an IPA.