Caribou Slobber Taste

[quote=“ickyfoot”]Yeah, fwiw, if you want to keep it simple, don’t read anything, just get a water report and look at sulfate : chloride and chlorine/chloramine.

If sulfates are a lot higher than chloride, that might explain some things regarding the hoppiness of your brews, and it might be worth considering distilled water when using extract recipes.

If chlorine is present, consider drawing your water the night before, as Denny suggests, or using campden tables (1 per gallon). If chloramine is present, I believe the only option is the tablets. It seems possible that what you’re perceiving as extra hops bitterness might be coming from chlorine/chloramine (apparently it contributes a harsh medicinal taste).

On the other hand, if you’re curious by nature, prepare to jump down the rabbit hole :wink: . Personally, I find the subject of water chemistry in the context of brewing fascinating.[/quote]

I guarantee it is not this simple. Still a firm believer that adjusting water chemistry is a last resort for flavors such as “Too Hoppy” or “Not Malty Enough” but if you want to start with it, you need a water test, and you need to adjust accordingly. This differs with each and every beer. Beer is originally a regional product. The idea of adjusting the chemistry would be to match as closely as possible to the original water table of the style original. You can’t make a true Irish Stout outside of Ireland, and you cant make a real Kolsch outside of Germany.

[quote]I guarantee it is not this simple. Still a firm believer that adjusting water chemistry is a last resort for flavors such as “Too Hoppy” or “Not Malty Enough”[/quote]Right, hence my suggestion to use distilled water for extract if anything is out of whack and simplicity is a goal.

Distilled water you will need to add minerals and other items, as the process of distillation removes them. Same with reverse osmosis. So buying anything but drinking water, you will automatically be forced into adjusting water chemistry. So why not just use your own water which is basically drinking water?

Distilled water is okay for use if you are using extract brewing because the minerals and calcium etc. are in the condensed malt extract. If you use it for all grain, you most likely wont have a very great fermentation.

So, original poster? Extract or All Grain?

[quote] Distilled water is okay for use if you are using extract brewing[/quote]That’s why I specified extract in the quote you pulled :wink:

I am under the impression the OP is using extract.

I wish I had kept notes on my early brews. When I first started I would buy spring water at Walmart but I can’t remember when I stopped. I brewed Patersbier in the past and it was fantastic. That is my next beer to keg. It is ready to go I just need space in my kegerator. If that tastes too hoppy I know I have problems other than adding too much hops. The expected IBUs on that is in the low 20’s so that should be just fine for me.

In the past I have brewed Irish Red, Patersbier, Honey Wheat, Belgian Dubbel, St. Paul Porter. The only one that came out too hoppy was the St. Paul Porter. Just can’t remember which ones I used tap water for and which ones I didn’t.

OK, from the Bigfloppy (OP):

[quote=“Bigfloppy”]I brewed with the extract kit using the Wyeast liquid yeast.[/quote]IME, and from what I’ve read, distilled should be fine.

[quote=“ickyfoot”]OK, from the Bigfloppy (OP):

Still unnecessary as reducing hops will have the same affect.

Sure, but if chlorine is playing a role, hops reduction won’t do it. IMO it can’t hurt to know the makeup of your water if you’re not happy with the beer you’re making, especially if you were making good beers before switching over to tap water. Then, you just decide if experimenting with hops amounts will do it, or if you wanna lay down a little extra cash for water that will mostly stay out of the way.

Funny. I brewed Caribou Slobber on the same day (Jan 21st) and it has an off flavor! While not the same problem as you are having, maybe the 21st was an auspicious day.

To add to the humor, I am drinking it right now as I scroll through this forum so I had to comment.

In my case, it was my first time brewing (obviously using an extract kit for my first time) so inexperience may have something to do with whatever is leading to that off flavor. It is drinkable but something is not quite right. I haven’t put my finger on it but it starts out fine, malty, slightly bitter, and then ends with something that I would almost describe as bitter but not in the good way. I can taste the coffee/chocolate trying to come through at the end but that off flavor smacks it down. Bummer.

I fermented at 67 F (in a water bath heated by fish tank heater), racked on Feb 3 (kept at 67 F), bottled on Feb 20th.

I want to believe it is getting better with time but I don’t think it is.

At least my Broken Spear Bitter that I brewed next came out fine, if not a little bit bland.

Cheers

Chris

My Caribou has gotten better. That really bitter aftertaste seems to have mellowed out. Wish I knew why but at least I have some good beer.