Caribou slobber fermenting temp beersmith vs N.B. directions

just wondering what you guys would do . I used wyeast 1332 . N.B. directions call for 65 to 75

beersmith says 7 days 68 deg. 20 days 50 deg.

I have been holding in the very low 60 s for 2 days so far. I was planning on holding there for the whole month.

what do you guys think.

My suggestion, hold in the low-mid 60’s until the krausen starts to drop, then let it warm to the high 60’s for two or three days to help the yeast to clean up, then drop the temps back down to low-mid 60’s until you’re ready to bottle.

I happen to have a Slobber fermenting, day 5.
Day 0, Pitched yeast at 56°.
Day 1, temp 62.1°rising to 66.4°
Day 2, temp 66.9° rising to 69.6°
Day 3, temp 69.4°
Day 4, temp 67.8° added aquarium heater, temp to 72.5° Edit - bubbles in carboy air lock from just under 1 per second on day three to 1 per 4 seconds on day 4.
Day 5, temp 76.5° fermentation activity increased to same as day 2. Dropped wort temp to 74.5°.

NB doesn’t recommend a fermentation temperature of 65° to 75°, that is the manufacturers recommendation for the fermentation range of WY1332. I usually try to stay in the low to mid range of a yeasts range, although some yeasts perform better in the mid to high range of the yeast. What works best is found by experimentation with a certain style of beer.

My Slobbers usually finish at 1.012 to 1.013. This is the first time I have warmed the wort as fermentation began to slow down. This is my experiment. It will be about day 12 before I take a SG reading and have the first taste. I’ll let the temp drop to ambient air temp of 66° when the current activity begins to slow. I’ll post back what happens.

The advice by Beer Smith for temperature in the primary is probably good. I don’t use Beer Smith so can’t say how this recommendation is developed. The long period of cold conditioning I’m not sure of. My Slobbers are in the primary for three weeks then bottled. Bottle conditioning is warm. Four weeks to the first taste. Taste does improve with longer warm conditioning.

You’re correct that the NB profile for Caribou slobber shows those temps in Beersmith. I don’t want to speak for Brad but I don’t think that’s BS2’s recommendation, it’s NB’s input.

It is kind of a strange looking fermentation profile. Frankly I’d write it off to poor instructions like the written instructions that come with the kit and are posted on NB’s website.

Beersmith is a tool that allows you to design and track the brewing and fermentation of beers. I create fermentation profiles and use them based upon each beer. You may want to do the same. Or the defaults like, Ale, Single Stage, may work for your purposes. Don’t rely on BS2 to tell you how to craft your beers if that makes sense.

Most agree that for a clean, ester free fermentation 68 is a bit high. You’ve received good advice above from 65SS427 on ferm temps. I ferment ales on a similar schedule, pitching at 62-63 holding there for 3-4 days, then raise to 68-70 for a d rest, then ambient temp of 70ish until I keg and crash.

I don’t mean to say flars’ schedule is bad. Just looks like he’s experimenting with ferm temp to see what the esters will add to the beer. Let’s see what he reports back.

Hey thanks guys for taking the time to get back to me . I’ve been brewing almost 2 years now and just the last 4 brews being all grain. Still trying to get beer Smith figured out I will say it’s getting easier. I guess when I saw that 50 temp. From beer Smith caught me e off guard . I normally stay low 60s thanks again.

[quote=“flars”]I happen to have a Slobber fermenting, day 5.
Day 0, Pitched yeast at 56°.
Day 1, temp 62.1°rising to 66.4°
Day 2, temp 66.9° rising to 69.6°
Day 3, temp 69.4°
Day 4, temp 67.8° added aquarium heater, temp to 72.5° Edit - bubbles in carboy air lock from just under 1 per second on day three to 1 per 4 seconds on day 4.
Day 5, temp 76.5° fermentation activity increased to same as day 2. Dropped wort temp to 74.5°.

NB doesn’t recommend a fermentation temperature of 65° to 75°, that is the manufacturers recommendation for the fermentation range of WY1332. I usually try to stay in the low to mid range of a yeasts range, although some yeasts perform better in the mid to high range of the yeast. What works best is found by experimentation with a certain style of beer.

My Slobbers usually finish at 1.012 to 1.013. This is the first time I have warmed the wort as fermentation began to slow down. This is my experiment. It will be about day 12 before I take a SG reading and have the first taste. I’ll let the temp drop to ambient air temp of 66° when the current activity begins to slow. I’ll post back what happens.

The advice by Beer Smith for temperature in the primary is probably good. I don’t use Beer Smith so can’t say how this recommendation is developed. The long period of cold conditioning I’m not sure of. My Slobbers are in the primary for three weeks then bottled. Bottle conditioning is warm. Four weeks to the first taste. Taste does improve with longer warm conditioning.[/quote]

Day 6, temp 73.2°
Day 7, temp 72.9° No air lock activity. Unplugged heater.
Day 8, temp 66.9°
Day 9 - 11 temp 64°
Day 11 SG 1.012 temperature corrected. Sample was crystal clear. No CO2 in sample. I’ll take another SG reading in three days. If that is FG, which it most likely will be due to the lack of CO2 production, I may bottle earlier than normal because of the lack of CO2 in the beer. The taste is perfect. I could easily drink the beer just the way it is.