Caribou Slobber explosion!

Well, I brewed up a Caribou Slobber extract kit yesterday morning and set it to ferment. Upon checking it this afternoon, I found I had a mini geyser of krausen piling up on top of the airlock. Luckily I use a carboy cover so most of the eruption went into the cover. I immediately installed a new bung (sanitized it with Star-San) and blow-off tube and it is percolating away. Just wondering if anyone else has had this reaction with Caribou Slobber! :sweat:

I’ve had my starter over flow the flask with WY 1332. Held the fermentation temperature at 68°F with no problems in the carboy. I do have 1.5 gallons for head space in the carboy.

Temp control and headspace are the best ways of dealing with blow-off. Blow-off tubing just manages the problem.

What’s your temperature like?

Yes, you are absolutely right, although, I always use the blow off hose throughout all my fermentations, for its ease of cleaning. With that being said, since I went to a freez-mentor, I don’t have any blow off excitement. I will put 5.5 gallons in my 6 gallon fermenters. Sneezles61

I have a six gallon Better Bottle carboy with five gallons of wort. Temperature in the room is a steady sixty-eight degrees.

1 Like

UPDATE: After a very busy twenty four hours of bubbling and pushing krausen out the blow-off tube, my Caribou Slobber is very quiet with nary a bubble. Is this normal? Should I just wait it out? Is there a course of action I should take? Advice please! :anguished:

Normal. Airlock activity may be slowing or stopped, but fermentation is still ongoing. Nothing you should or need to do. Give it the full time or more listed in the instructions.

1 Like

Take a SG reading in another 8 days. Then another about three days later. You will probably find the fermentation is done. Excess CO2 will still be off gassing. As the CO2 release begins diminishing the excess yeast and sediment will begin dropping out to clear the beer. I usually plan for three weeks in the primary before the beer will be clear enough to bottle.

Thanks. After reading your post, I stumbled upon a book by Charlie Papazian called, “The Complete Joy of Home Brewing, 3rd edition” which went into the life cycle of yeast (respiration, fermentation and sedimentation) which served to further validate your sound advice. Being new at this, I have yet to experience the same thing twice (limited sample of 4 batches) with each batch. Makes it truly maddening but rewarding when you finally open a up a cold brew you made! Thanks once again.
:beer:

1 Like

Thanks! Sound advice as I have discovered by doing further research! The simple intricacies of home brewing beer is quite challenging and rewarding. Patience is the biggest challenge!