Care and feeding of slurry?

After you harvest and wash, what are you supposed to do?
I thought I just had to keep them in the fridge.
When I was buying grain for a small 2 gallon batch, the guy asked if I needed yeast. I said no, I was re-pitching some Windsor. He asked when I got it, and I said 2-2. He then asked if I had been feeding them, And I said no. He then stated they were probably dead, “But I could try”

I ended up buying a packet of 05 off him.

So, I have that Windsor, and some 1056 I washed on 3-2 that I want to use this Saturday, sitting in the fridge. What should I do with them?

Thanks!

Gonzo

I don’t know if this guy mistook ‘yeast’ for ‘goldfish’, but you don’t need to ‘feed’ yeast that has been harvested.

Whenever you re-use yeast though, you should be making a starter, preferably with a stir plate.

There is really no way to determine viability with harvested yeast (other than plating it out and using a microscope and counter), so its better to err on the side of overpitching. If its really old, one might even pitch it into a 1000ml lower-gravity starter, decant, then grow up a proper starter, as stored yeast will contain some dead cells.

I’ve stored yeast in the fridge for 6 months or so though, without major problems (again, after 60-90 days, probably a good idea to make a 2-stage starter)

Yeast are probable not much fresher than the day your primary ended. So the 2/2 date is worthless.

You should go back to his store and ask him if you can have all the yeast packs more than 6 weeks old. If he says no, the ask him why he thinks yours are dead. Nothing is actively feeding the yeast he has in the fridge.

[quote=“560sdl”]Yeast are probable not much fresher than the day your primary ended. So the 2/2 date is worthless.

You should go back to his store and ask him if you can have all the yeast packs more than 6 weeks old. If he says no, the ask him why he thinks yours are dead. Nothing is actively feeding the yeast he has in the fridge.[/quote]

HA! That was my thought

I am new at this, but nothing I read about mentioned feeding. I kinda sorta figured he was just trying to sell me a packet…and he did! But, I have another strain to harvest now!

Do I need DME for a starter? or will table sugar do? What would a weak starter be? i.e. how much sugar to water? When you say decant into a stronger starter, do you mean waste the liquid, use the slurry, or is the liquid what I want in the starter?

Thanks again!

Gonzo

You want to use DME/LME. 1.030 to 1.040 wort is good for a starter.

Decanting is when you pour off the liquid after the slurry has settled. Cold crashing in the fridge will speed it up. The liquid is the waste.

I usually brew on Mondays. Unless I’m racking onto a yeast cake from a previous beer, I’ll get a starter going on Thurs. evening and cold crash Sat. evening.

http://www.yeastcalc.com/

The above site has a handy calculator to tell how much water/DME you need. Find yourself a 1g jug to make your starter in.

The US05 yeast if similar to the 1056 strain. Though some say the can tell a difference. I would not harvest both yeast. Just keep the dry in the fridge/freezer for a backup yeast.

As you are making a 2 gallon batch and the yeast is ~1 month old, I don’t see much of a need to make a starter. I would shake up your yeast, (it’s in a qt jar?) and pour 1/2 into a new jar. Let that sit over night. Then decant (pour off) the liquid, and the slurry to the 2g beer.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]http://www.yeastcalc.com/

The above site has a handy calculator to tell how much water/DME you need. Find yourself a 1g jug to make your starter in.

The US05 yeast if similar to the 1056 strain. Though some say the can tell a difference. I would not harvest both yeast. Just keep the dry in the fridge/freezer for a backup yeast.

As you are making a 2 gallon batch and the yeast is ~1 month old, I don’t see much of a need to make a starter. I would shake up your yeast, (it’s in a qt jar?) and pour 1/2 into a new jar. Let that sit over night. Then decant (pour off) the liquid, and the slurry to the 2g beer.[/quote]

Right now they are in little half pint jars(All I had around). I already did the 2 gallon batch with the 05. If I have grain sitting around, I just have to get it in a pot! I’m making the Wife a newcastle clone this weekend, So I will see how the Windsor takes off in the starter today.