Carbonation Question

I recently brewed a partial mash IPA. Its been in bottles for a few weeks and i noticed an issue as i was drinking a few earlier this week. At first i thought i was getting tremendous head retention, only to realize that the beer was just continuing to expel CO2 until the glass is empty. The end result is the last few drinks that almost end up being flat. I’m curious if anyone has had an experience with this and could offer some insight.

Beer (or any liquid) will degas as it warms up as the CO2 is no longer as soluble.

How cold is the beer you are drinking and how many volumes of CO2 did you carb to (or did you just add what was in the priming sugar pack)? If the latter, those aren’t always ideal, as you need to know exactly how much beer you have to prime and weigh the priming agent to match the volume of beer and desired volumes (amount) of CO2 you want to create.

Over carbed or possible infection. Most likely overcarbed. That would be my guess.

i wouldnt think infection, based on the taste…the taste is good. I just added what was in the primary pack. is there a good calculation to use to measure out how much to carb to moving forward?

Look at the top of the page on our host’s site. Click on the ‘Learn’ button, then ‘Resources’ then ‘Priming sugar calculator’. It’s all there.
But maybe I’m missing something in your initial post- I think what your describing is a normal glass of beer? Starts out well carbonated and by the end of the glass the carbonation is gone? Or am I just being dense?

One other thing, you need to be careful with your pouring, as if there are little flecks of hops/coagulated yeast that make it into your glass from the bottle-conditioned bottle, they can act as nucleation sites for the CO2 and it will drive it out real quick. Make sure you are chilling in the fridge overnight, and pouring carefully, leaving the dregs at the bottom of the bottle behind.

I have had that condition improve with a little more time. Also try to keep a bottle for two or three days in the fridge. The cold liquid might retain and hold more Co2.