Carbonation question after Glass Carboy Broke!

Well, the pitfall of a glass carboy hit me! I’m an extreme noob. Got a second hand glass secondary form a friend who never used it. I cleaned it and sanitized it (and everything else I used to siphon) and racked my Brown ale into the glass carboy, from my primary (Big Mouth Bubbler), at about 3 weeks strictly because it was going to be a bit before I was able to get it bottled and I wanted it off the yeast cake. Nothing appeared out of the ordinary with the carboy until I went into my basement the next day and smelled beer…NOT GOOD! The Carboy was set on top of a table in the basement, had beer dripping down the table onto the lightly colored carpet below, did I mention it was a Brown Ale. At first I thought, somehow, it was a blowoff issue until I noticed the airlock going backwards…and a new crack that went from the base of it up to the fermometer! 1 pissed off wife and a carpet cleaning later I lost 1.5 gallons of my concoction (luckily I didn’t lose it all!).

Here in lies my question. My 5 gallon batch is now at 3.5 gallons. getting ready for bottling and will be batch carbonating. The recipe calls for 2/3 cup priming sugar in 16 oz water, obviously assuming the 5 gallon batch. Do I now just adjust the priming mix proportionately, by my math, making it about 11 oz water with just under a 1/2 cup priming sugar?

I’m pretty much a noob and just hate to lose any more screwing up carbonation! On my lengthy list of things to do different in the future…new glass or no glass!

Thanks in advance for your help!

[quote=“McP”]
Here in lies my question. My 5 gallon batch is now at 3.5 gallons. getting ready for bottling and will be batch carbonating. The recipe calls for 2/3 cup priming sugar in 16 oz water, obviously assuming the 5 gallon batch. Do I now just adjust the priming mix proportionately, by my math, making it about 11 oz water with just under a 1/2 cup priming sugar?[/quote]
The amount of water you boil in doesn’t matter much, but yes, adjust the amount of sugar proportionate to the volume of beer. If you really want to get accurate carbonation, you should buy a scale and add it by weight. Then, adjust the weight appropriately for the beer style. I got a great little ounce/gram scale for less than $10, which is also good for hops and brewing salts.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

Excellent link! For us not to scientific types it looks like a little less than half a cup of corn sugar for 3.5 gallons.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I figured it was just a proportion change. DIDN’T realize the amount of mixing liquid doesn’t really matter. I’ll be looking into a scale for sure!

The boiling liquid is just there to get it into solution and sanitize it. Ideally, you would include the volume in calculating how much sugar you need, but realistically it isn’t going to make much difference. It used to be pretty common to just add undissolved sugar right to each bottle, which will also work but is less than optimal.